Today's find----wood hauler, sorta

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiracleRepair

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Today at an auction, I come across this piece of equipment. My brain immediately thought, "hey, I could pull that behind my atv and retrieve logs with it." $75 later I'm pulling it home thinking of all of the modifications I can do to make it better.

BTW, I was told it was originally a casket vault carrier, so if I get killed while cutting firewood, it will still come in handy.:laugh:
loghauler002.jpg

loghauler001.jpg

Lucky fella! I can't see where it would need alot of mods to make a make-shift log arch from it.

One handy feature, is the two bottom bars. You can get your log outta the dirt!

Lucky fella! I can't see where it would need alot of mods to make a make-shift log arch from it.

One handy feature, is the two bottom bars. You can get your log outta the dirt!

First mod, deep cycle battery and 2 electric winches. 1 on the front to pull logs in, and 1 to replace the hand winch. The removable lower bars will let it double as a log trailer as well. I can carry one big one, or lots of smaller ones.

Nice find... I'd like something like that. With those big tires, I could pull it behind the wheeler. I can think of a few good ideas to make that work for me. Looks like if you do it right you could buck a few big logs right from the trailer and later drive away. When they came for my the LP Tank, they had something like that. Let us know what you do with it.

Nice find... I'd like something like that. With those big tires, I could pull it behind the wheeler. I can think of a few good ideas to make that work for me. Looks like if you do it right you could buck a few big logs right from the trailer and later drive away. When they came for my the LP Tank, they had something like that. Let us know what you do with it.

That made me start thinking about two more cross pieces for the top deck. Stack logs in the lower, move to top deck and buck.

Almost looks like a trailer to haul propane tanks either way great find worth the money:clap:
That's what I thought it was when I first looked at it. But, then you notice that it has a jack plus a crazy wheel, and a nice push handle on the front. You wouldn't be able to use a vehicle at a grave site, so they pushed it over the hole manually. Now they use a boom truck.
bogey001.jpg

miracle,,N I C E,,and not to rain on your parade..but a casket weighs???? a log weighs????? the axles are probably strong enough, but the arc needs reinforcing, unless you make the two bottom bars permanent....it will want to spread apart on yah,,even loading a log, because of the weight.... if it spreads,,after loading,you could use two turnbuckles of sufficent strength,,to pull it back in line...........ive looked at lp tank haulers also,,and those are meant to even carry a fully loaded 1000 gal if they have to !!!!!..tho i dang sure wouldnt try it..the one from my acreage [bought my own tank] was moved,with 500 gal in the 1000 gal tank!!!! thats a bunch of weight,,but a wet log,,is EXTREME weight !!!!!..depending on size..................

Last edited:
miracle,,N I C E,,and not to rain on your parade..but a casket weighs???? a log weighs????? the axles are probably strong enough, but the arc needs reinforcing, unless you make the two bottom bars permanent....it will want to spread apart on yah,,even loading a log, because of the weight.... if it spreads,,after loading,you could use two turnbuckles of sufficent strength,,to pull it back in line...........ive looked at lp tank haulers also,,and those are meant to even carry a fully loaded 1000 gal if they have to !!!!!..tho i dang sure wouldnt try it..the one from my acreage [bought my own tank] was moved,with 500 gal in the 1000 gal tank!!!! thats a bunch of weight,,but a wet log,,is EXTREME weight !!!!!..depending on size..................

Casket "vault" carrier. The concrete vault that the casket goes in weighs between 2000-4000 pounds depending on the model and size. Pallbearers carry the casket by hand, to the thing that lowers it into the ground.

But, yeah, I was thinking of making a removable frame connector at the rear. Oh, and it is made out of 1/4 inch wall 2x4 rectangular tubing.

Last edited:
You also have to remember that I live in Ks. No "huge" wood around here, and I rarely mess with anything over 24". 9' hedge log, 24" is only 1781 pounds. That would be the heaviest wood I get.

Can you make a sketch of it with dimensions? I'd like to built one of these, just a little bigger and beefier... :)

That was a great steal right there... 75 bucks!! Wow. :cheers:

Back