trade secrete

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tony marks

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
now i know im asking a trade secrete.
but if any of u pro saw men would
tell me how to bring out color in faded plastic ,in this case stihl. i would owe ya.
picked up a 011avt yesterday,and ive never bought a used saw so close to being like new . only thing the plastic is discolored as they are prown to be.
any help appreciated.

Go to a motorcycle shop and get the stuff for polishing the scratches out of face shields and windshields. The color on saw parts os in the plastic not on it so polishing off the top layer will reveal "new" colored plastic unless the discoloring runs deep.

color fade on a saw is tough. knowing what caused it helps. sun,abusive cleaning agents such as oven cleaner or brake cleaner. i start with sprying the saw down with armor all cleaner and let it soak for two to three minutes. i bungee the saw to a milk crate and hit it real good with a pressure washer getting all caked on stuff off as much as possible off all parts. start it to get the water out of the exhaust. next use mequires spray wax and work it in real good to the plastic. this seems to bring back what ever shine is left. marty

You can buy a polish with color mixed in and it works good.
I bought some from JC Whitney for the cap on my last pickup truck and it did a great job.

I have had some good luck on Stihl plastic using Mothers polish to bring back the color after a good cleaning. Then I use a spray that Honda has for their motorcycles and ATV's. It usually buffs out really nice unless someone has sprayed the plastic down with carb cleaner!:angry:

Oxidized Plastic

Mr. Marks,

I too have a Stihl 028 with this oxidized/crappy surface on the plastic parts. The only long lasting solution to the bad looks is to remove the oxidation with abrasion and then polish the plastic back smooth with a polishing compound. I have worked in a plastics laboratory for over 20 years. We get questions like yours periodically. Start with say a 120 grit wet/dry paper, then go to say a 180, 240, 360, 600. Finally, use something like an automotive rubbing compound for the final shine. I guarantee results. It just takes lots of elbow grease.

Bill

Tony,
I've tried everything from Novus plastic cleaner/polish, rubbing/buffing compounds, sandpapers up to 1200 grit, and a power buffer with special plastic polishing compound.

If the plastics are old from heat and oxidation then there's just not much you can do to make them like new again. Stihl plastics are pretty tough but something in their composition makes them resist normal polishing methods. (I think they're too soft to benefit from most polishing abrasives.)

A detail shop that used to be next to mine clear
coated fiberglass boats and made them new
looking. I do not know about plastic on saws
though.

I prefer a little Mother's Gold on the saw. Butchers wax works great on the bar to prevent surface rust:D
Never store your saw on a concrete floor, the moisture in the concrete well leach the zinc out of the magnesium in the castings and create huge pits in the metal. Store your old metal cased saws on a piece of wood covered with wax paper, it works great.

I store all of my saws in the middle of the living room. The carpet soaks up any bar oil that may seep out and the heat from the fireplace keeps rust to a minimum.

LOL!!! Your wife must love that! I tried to hang mine on the living room wall but that idea got shot down quickly.:mad:

Latest posts

Back