Tree Isssues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeekTreeInfo

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a rather large tree that is showing some signs that it is having issues. I have attached a photo of the tree. There is some kind of a growth on the tree that is a tannish red in color that seems to reside by branches that are going out or trunks that are going out. I am also not seeing the typical leave budding and growth from the upper portions of the tree. See attached photo.

Can anybody tell me what this is? I am I am meeting with a tree service this week to discuss the plans. It appears I will have to remove several of the branches for deadwood. Due to the enormity of the tree and how large it is, I am going to have to take a phase approach with step one removing all of the deadwood as much as I can afford and then just slowly taking more and more sections off until maybe next year, taking the remaining tree down if necessary. If I cut some of the large main branches and deadwood, would that buy time before the tree will fall or split. Just trying to mitigate the most cost effective way.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_1367.jpeg
    IMG_1367.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1368.jpeg
    IMG_1368.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 1
The patches are hypoxylon and most likely are a secondary problem that has developed due to a first problem like soil disturbance, trenching, digging, soil compaction or drainage conditions that have changed.

https://www.google.com/search?sca_e...c4mB_sQBSgAegQIBhAB&biw=1152&bih=622&dpr=1.25

The tree is going to need removing and doing it by removing deadwood first is going to result in a higher overall cost.

Can you post some photos of what is going on at ground level around this tree?

Hello,

Thank you for the information.

It’s not what I wanted to hear. Trees this size, will cost $6-8,000 to remove. I really would like to do mitigation some how, cutting the large branches and deadwood off, hopefully leaving a tree that can last another year or so. But if the roots are diminishing it still is a hazard.

I can get some closer shots. Hopefully you can zoom.

I wish there was a way to tell how much time the tree has.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1371.jpeg
    IMG_1371.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1372.jpeg
    IMG_1372.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 1
Hello,

Thank you for the information.

It’s not what I wanted to hear. Trees this size, will cost $6-8,000 to remove. I really would like to do mitigation some how, cutting the large branches and deadwood off, hopefully leaving a tree that can last another year or so. But if the roots are diminishing it still is a hazard.

I can get some closer shots. Hopefully you can zoom.

I wish there was a way to tell how much time the tree has.

Thanks!

Thanks for the thanks.

There will be other arborist that chime in here so don't take my words too seriously just yet!

It definitely looks like hypoxylon canker. In Texas, that is a 30 day kill. Unfortunately, it dries the wood out to the point the tree is no longer structurally sound. The longer you wait, the more expensive and dangerous the tree will be to remove. Unfortunately as well, there is no mitigation or cure that I am aware of.

It looks a little pink, actually. Others have said it is hypoxylon canker.

It’s not looking too good. I was hoping there was a way to cutting deadwood some of the large branches, and mitigate this issue doing it in stages.

Thanks!

The patches are hypoxylon and most likely are a secondary problem that has developed due to a first problem like soil disturbance, trenching, digging, soil compaction or drainage conditions that have changed.

https://www.google.com/search?sca_e...c4mB_sQBSgAegQIBhAB&biw=1152&bih=622&dpr=1.25

The tree is going to need removing and doing it by removing deadwood first is going to result in a higher overall cost.

Can you post some photos of what is going on at ground level around this tree?
Is that rubber mulch in that bed under both trees?

Get more quotes and ask about drop and leave. Maybe local wood maggots will want firewood. A lot of arborist will quote the hogs like that high to get out of them. Keep shopping.
Don't want to be leaving hypoxylon infected logs on site... and no one will want that for firewood.

Latest posts

Back