• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold used dolmar/makita hd filter kit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

logicallycompromised

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
i had planed on making my own filter setup since i determined that my larger saw would be a 6400 based. several months ago i purchased this saw with the hd filter already installed and now that old man winter is coming i want to bring my filter ideas to fruition.

i have put about 15 tanks of fuel through the saw since i purchased it from a member on here and not sure how many tanks they put through the filter. i would like to trade for the regular replacement parts; i.e. filter, elbow, carb screws, and cover. the cover can be cracked so long as the crack does not propagate into any part of the perimeter. color does not mater either.

here are some images i took yesterday of the kit, the one note to call your attention to is the scratch in the cover in the last image. i think i could buff it out with some compound but just have made no effort to do so.

i would like to get 45$ for the swap.

thank you for your time.
live long and prosper!

IMG_20161121_193355.jpg IMG_20161121_193405.jpg IMG_20161121_193647.jpg IMG_20161121_193854.jpg

change of plans...i finished creating the air filter kit i had been meaning to so now i do not need any parts shipped this way; just a pure for sale thread now for hd filter kit in orginal post. i would like to get 42$ shipped for the hd filter kit.

obligatory new intake images. i plan on making a video sharing the development and building of both the spikes and air filter setup within the next couple months.
7rdERfS.jpg

F43XRU9.jpg

homemade felling spikes as well
JlW0SDc.jpg

she a bad girl now
thank you for your time!
live long and prosper!

What did you make the spikes out of? Is the saw still 64cc or did you swap the top end?

Also, I'm curious about how you did your stack setup, since I'm working on one, too. What I'm doing is using a 372x torq carb, 372 oe boot, 288xp low top filter elbow, and an Angry Elf velocity stack. It's going on my Solo, but should work the same on a Dolmar.

hello good sir!
several years ago i wanted to get a tech-lite bar and full wrap based mostly on your signature; thank you for the inspiration good sir!

the saw is grown up now with an oem 79cc kit and sporting 183psi compression here; squish ~.019". i spent some time with many drawings to help pull off the more raw and masculine look i wanted on this saw. i eventually compromised on this 5 tooth design. i also had a more aggressive 4 tooth more on this when i make the video. these spikes help me get back another 1" or so of the bar which is nice as well. the spikes are just a low carbon content mild steel i had laying around. i de-greased it and then used some hydrogen peroxide/vinegear and salt to expedite the rusting in about 5 minute with the aid of some heat. i tried to help limit additional oxidation by sealing them with epoxy; time will tell how successful i was. i then made the chain catch as well. the spikes were cut with sheers and holesaws and hand files were used to have better control of the form.
to me, curves and more flowing shapes are feminine. they do tend to produce more aesthetically pleasing results to most people but i felt it contradicted with the purpose of this tool. the oem felling spikes were in direct violation of this and so are the top plastic and air filter. i bought the oem filter elbow; called intake muffler or something along those lines for 4 dollars at the local shop. i then de-greased and sanded the interior so i could fill it with some methyl methacrylate type adhesive (commonly called plastic weld). i then smoothed the edges and added a collar to the this piece so that it protruded slightly above the deck of plastic. the filter element is just a piece of recycling, truvina(?) containers and was the only thing in the recycling that day, even a blind squirrel finds a nut...lol i then used some bicycle inner tube which is trapped between the threaded cap and container. next i cut the rubber slightly smaller so it slides over and provided tight fit. i cut out just about all the plastic of this container; the only purpose i needed it for was to provide a frame for which very fine polyester mesh could drape over it. i debated leaving the top uncut to maximize protection from rain should i need to use saw but compromised by cutting a flower type pattern which left the center solid above the opening for the intake elbow. the intake elbow also protrudes about 3/4" into the plastic container to also limit water draw; this was done initially to get cleaner, non turbulent air then if the velocity stack blended right into the bottom edge but helps with potential water as well. i then draped the fabric over the container and allowed the edge just below the cape to act as a groove to locate a rubber band i made with some 1/32" shock cord. i was going to sew a couple of these up but for the time being this is only draped and pulled tight. i have the stumps knocked down to like .040" so when this cuts it throws corn but in the little i have ran the saw since finishing it had done it's job. after i a get couple tanks of juice through her i will make another determination if i need to add more filtration.

here are a couple images which will bring more resolution then my aforementioned incoherent thoughts
Eh1wmHB.jpg

x8AlKUV.jpg

frRju6c.jpg

this last image before all the removing of plastic. i may add back or create a shroud around the exposed fins on this near side but the remaining plastic will likely not go on. the plastic is nice and keeps dirt and debris out so people can neglect the saw longer without much worry. i understand i will likely need to clean it more and if something else comes up which suggests i need it i will add it back. the only surface i did not painstakingly clean and prepare for paint was that upper curved shell. i will prep it in the coming weeks and blow some paint to cover the green. this is why i like painting textured finish because to me they look better, are much easy to paint and also to touch up.

enough babbling for now, i will try and get more details out when i make the videos. the point of the videos is just to try and motivate others to do similar projects. i could cut the spikes with laser cutter and 3d printed a proper one piece velocity stack i created in solidwork modeling but this would be intangible to many, instead i opted to solve the problems i created with common tools most of us have.

if my lack of organization had confused anyone please speak up and i will try to better explain myself if i can.
thank you for your time and motivation good sir!

SOLD
i need projects to keep me busy so there is a good chance one day i will get around to it, plus i may use the project as something i can share with future employers.

seeing i have just sold this hd filter and have no contingency plan in place that day may come sooner then previously planned. i will keep you posted.

live long and prosper all!

well we lost internet for a couple hours today so this project made some progress. just making sure i could create the somewhat complex shape, happy with the result. need to fix a couple things with it; add correct dimensions that work with the space we have as well think about how to best integrate a commonly available filter for people. i am still partial to the system i used above but not everyone would welcome the idea of using some random plastic container. this project will continue to cross my mind from time to time and i will update if i move forward with anything.
TNj1Ve6l.jpg

Do you think it should have a flange on the back that mounts to the airbox for rigidity? Or would that compromise the anti-vibe system for the carb and intake? The reason I ask is that appears to be a larger air horn.

Nice customization! :clap:

From Your extensive posts I understand You currently have no cylinder cover on Your awesome saw - is that correct?
You should consider to either use the OEM cylinder cover or customize Your own - it's main function is NOT to keep dirt away from the cylinder but to ensure airflow from the flywheel to the cylinder for appropriate cooling.

Again great looking saw, and love the spikes! :chainsaw:

Cheers :cheers:

i do not.
i am sorry for providing a moment of hope because i was careless and did not change the title of the thread.
keep searching good sir or possible miss they surface from time to time.

live long and prosper!

Latest posts

Back