Uses for peeled tree bark

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joseph Acquisto

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Finally got by Woodland Mills HM126-14 going and quickly learned I should not have left all those white pine logs stacked (off the ground on 6x6) without peeling them first. Lots of grubs and sadly, worm holes.

So, went ahead and peeled off the bark of the remaining logs to try to prevent further damage and now wondering what to do with the bark, before I just pile it up in a heap where I won't have to look at it any more.

The wider logs seem still useful as structural, the smaller ones, maybe boards for those that like a really rusting look. Holes and all.

Depending on what kind of bark, it can make decent kindling for getting a fire started, or for rekindling one that has just about burned out. It basically provides the fire with a fuel that will burn hot and fast to get the temps up which helps get the rest of the fire going. I burn a lot of shagbark and will often peal some of the thin pieces of bark off to save for this purpose. I also till miscellaneous bark into my garden as a source of carbon.

Back