• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Sell Vegetable and Herb Seed Packets - 50/ $10

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,
Someone today gifted me two boxes of vegetable and herb seeds, mostly Ferry Morse brand, some organic.
I'm separating out what I can use and there is SO Much More!
Here are photos from Box #1 that I just finished sorting through. The second box looks like it has more of the same. I'll revise the list and post new photos after I sort that box.

50 packs of seeds, assorted, or specify if you'd like more or less of something.. or if you'd like more than 50.
50 packs weigh about 8 oz. about 14 oz. and depending on where you live, $10 should cover shipping. Unless you live in Timbuctoo.

I guess payment will be made via PayPal.

Here's what I have so far, the majority of the packs so far are carrots and cucumbers. There are different varieties of each, same with some of the other seeds.
The packs I checked are dated 2024.

Here's the list:
Carrots
Cucumbers
Radish
Spinach
Cabbage
Eggplant
Brussels sprouts
Broccoli
Pak choi
Swiss chard
Several larger assortment packs

Herbs:
"Culinary Herb Garden" assortment pack
Oregano
Rosemary
Dill
Parsley
Thyme
Cilantro

PM me if you are interested and I'll put together a package for you of what you want. :)

Sandy
DSC00533.JPGDSC00534.JPGDSC00535.JPGDSC00536.JPGDSC00537.JPG

Keep in mind that the older the seed becomes the lower the germination rate will be, which is why you'll find seed sold at retail outlets will be marked as for current season planting.

What I do with excess seed is, I put it in the freezer for the following year. Seed in packets (or bulk seed) for that matter, stored at ambient temperature, the gem rate will decrease as it ages. The older it gets, the lower the germ rate becomes when not stored in below freezing temps.

This year I have an excess of Roundup Ready sweet corn (bi-color) seed and the excess went in the deep freeze. I've found the germ rate decreases little if the seed is kept well below freezing. Just my personal experience as a farmer and I really like the Roundup Ready sweet corn seed as I dislike the constant weeding of sweet corn. With the Roundup Ready seed, I can spray the herbicide and not weed at all.

Because I grow alfalfa hay and I overseed my fields regularly (and fertilize them as well), I buy certified vernal alfalfa seed and the bags are plainly marked as to the 'mean' germ rate and by law, it has to be 95% or better and it's tested to germ at that percentage.

Though I can buy Roundup ready hybrid alfalfa seed, I prefer vernal alfalfa simply because Roundup ready hybrid alfalfa is very hard to control the spread as the plants are legumes and like to naturally propagate and I don't want my back yard to become an alfalfa field. I have more than enough alfalfa as it is.

So... I guess that's your saying you're not interested since I don't have any Round-up ready corn or alfalfa?
:ices_rofl:
Not at all. If you bother to read my comment, you will readily see what impacts seed and how to store it. Nothing more and I don't buy seed packets anyway.

I want people to be aware of the fact that the older the seed is and how it was stored, how it impacts the germination rate. Don't want anyone to be disappointed if the seed don't germinate. Nothing more.

In the past, I've planted excess seed that was a couple years old with very good success but I stored it in a below freezing enviroment.

You are reading a lot more into my comment than is necessary. I ought to know as I farm and have been for many years but in my case it's alfalfa hay, not row crops.

Not at all. If you bother to read my comment, you will readily see what impacts seed and how to store it. Nothing more and I don't buy seed packets anyway.

I want people to be aware of the fact that the older the seed is and how it was stored, how it impacts the germination rate. Don't want anyone to be disappointed if the seed don't germinate. Nothing more.

In the past, I've planted excess seed that was a couple years old with very good success but I stored it in a below freezing enviroment.

You are reading a lot more into my comment than is necessary. I ought to know as I farm and have been for many years but in my case it's alfalfa hay, not row crops.
These are practically FREE except for postage.
They are dated 2024.
I'm sure anyone who grows a garden is aware of how to best store the seeds.

But thanks for your suggestion on freezing them.

These are practically FREE except for postage.
They are dated 2024.
I'm sure anyone who grows a garden is aware of how to best store the seeds.

But thanks for your suggestion on freezing them.
We vacuum pack and freeze all left over and the next spring the germination rate is not 100% but it's quite high. Certainly enough for another garden unless your planting a 1/2 acre or something.

Keep in mind that the older the seed becomes the lower the germination rate will be, which is why you'll find seed sold at retail outlets will be marked as for current season planting.

What I do with excess seed is, I put it in the freezer for the following year. Seed in packets (or bulk seed) for that matter, stored at ambient temperature, the gem rate will decrease as it ages. The older it gets, the lower the germ rate becomes when not stored in below freezing temps.

This year I have an excess of Roundup Ready sweet corn (bi-color) seed and the excess went in the deep freeze. I've found the germ rate decreases little if the seed is kept well below freezing. Just my personal experience as a farmer and I really like the Roundup Ready sweet corn seed as I dislike the constant weeding of sweet corn. With the Roundup Ready seed, I can spray the herbicide and not weed at all.

Because I grow alfalfa hay and I overseed my fields regularly (and fertilize them as well), I buy certified vernal alfalfa seed and the bags are plainly marked as to the 'mean' germ rate and by law, it has to be 95% or better and it's tested to germ at that percentage.

Though I can buy Roundup ready hybrid alfalfa seed, I prefer vernal alfalfa simply because Roundup ready hybrid alfalfa is very hard to control the spread as the plants are legumes and like to naturally propagate and I don't want my back yard to become an alfalfa field. I have more than enough alfalfa as it is.

If you get a good seed saver book it will: detail normal storage life , weather the seed is problematic with cross pollination/how it pollinates (wind/insects/self...what it will cross pollinate with), and how to harvest the seeds from the flowers/fruits.

For example normally stored corn seed has a short shelf life 1-2 years, brassicas ( cabbages, kale, broccoli...) 5-6 years.

I do recommend freezing/refrigeration in sealed containers. It greatly extends viability.

Here is a question now that you guys bring up storage.

How are seeds like these for off season growing. Can they bear fruit in greenhouse/ hothouse type growing? Hydroponic etc?
I am no experienced crop producer, but have 0 problems growin weeds.

Here is a question now that you guys bring up storage.

How are seeds like these for off season growing. Can they bear fruit in greenhouse/ hothouse type growing? Hydroponic etc?
I am no experienced crop producer, but have 0 problems growin weeds.

Some of these seeds might work but there are special cultivars that have been bred to perform best in various growing conditions.

Latest posts

Back