Velocity stack Info

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
100% with your thinking Rick. What Brad showed is more a bell mouth.

They certainly can help reduce the turbulence at the carb entry, but that gain can be wiped out if the harmonics are messed up.

In general if you want the saw to produce max power at a higher RPM the intake needs to be shortened and not by much, if it's lengthened then the intake can be made to work at a lower harmonic and tuned to suit. Usually that makes for an intake a couple inches longer more like what Bill showed. Goin to take to try and see testing or computer work to have any real idea of how long the intake should be (IMO).

i just want to put one on it because i have heard that the stock filters plug up all the time and they are $30 bucks a piece. i figured if i make a stack and i can put a $5 green weenie or a $24 k@n on it and be better off

I can't see it practical to cut wood with somethin like that hanging out of the saw. You want to improve the plugging problem there is an aftermarket high flow filter and rear cover, or easy too to make a screen basket over the stock filter to keep the big chunks off.

If you want to put a K&N out the back to make it look cool... well what ever turns your crank.

Thats neat Brad and I was wondering the same about if it were to add power,cosmetics, or just a better filter. What you guys are saying about harmonics is neat also.
I worked on Honda cars at a dealership for ten years so I know them well. On a honda fuel injected engine there is a rubber pipe that runs from the throttle body then this pipe runs to plastic boxes that dampen the sound when you hit the throttle hard. the pipe that takes in air is at the very end of this and is located down low where folks say the air is cooler. The system works well and there is very little noise when you romp down on the gas pedal. Now in come these young bucks cars and they have put a cold air intake on the car. I have seen this hundreds if not thousands of times. What they have is a metal pipe mounted to the TB. with a rubber connecting hose and clamps. The pipe aims downward and on the end is usually a k&N air filter and some pay big bucks for this crap. All it does is when you get on the throttle hard the TB sounds like a four barrel carb singing. I mean there louder than an old carb . What they don't understand is those car engines were designed to get peak hp and tourque via all the systems that control the engine trans. etc. and this air intake system was part of that engineering and it in no way is restrictive. They probably actually hurt there performance and economy when they do this and I have told many of them about it but NO, IT'S COLD air so I need the extra hp lol. I guess on a race car it would be a different story. Sorry for the rambling but I felt this was in line with the topic but on automobiles. Thanks, FullCry

Never tested the performance gains on a car, put a couple of the on in my younger days. But one thing I know is when I pulled the air box off my skidoo it went 5 to 10 mph slower. No doubt at all that intake was tuned to optimize performance.

Thats neat Brad and I was wondering the same about if it were to add power,cosmetics, or just a better filter. What you guys are saying about harmonics is neat also.

I seriously doubt it does much for performance. Flow testing has been done on the stock HD filters and they're just fine. I did it just for the fun of it. It does stay clean though. And it doesn't really get in the way at all. Mount OPE sets them up like this for their loggers I believe.

I can't see it practical to cut wood with somethin like that hanging out of the saw. You want to improve the plugging problem there is an aftermarket high flow filter and rear cover, or easy too to make a screen basket over the stock filter to keep the big chunks off.

If you want to put a K&N out the back to make it look cool... well what ever turns your crank.

Where can you get the aftermarket high flow filter and rear cover for an
056 super. I just want a better filter to solve pluging problem it not a matter of looks

i did not think anyone made one that is why i was going to make a velocity stack

My mistake I thought you wanted it for an 066. Guess I got looking at Brads pictures and forgot what saw we were talking about. Time to be creative.

Last edited:
Here's one i made with a rapid prototype prototype machine, then sanded it down. best part was it was free. :D

sidenote:kool thing about the design was someone sent me an article by the guru of engine research, forget his name now, and he researched velocity stacks to find the absolute best profile, then published the formula for the profile of the curved surface.

-sorry guys, been kinna busy last month or so, so haven't posted much or been up to date on things.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Latest posts

Back