Vintage chainsaw Identification Challenge - My dad's very first chainsaw - Late 1940's??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
attachment.php

You might look up ronconic. I know he has one of these sitting under his shelf. He might sell it to you. If your interested. Tell me and Ill set you up with him

Thanks for the overall shot!!

Sooo is it as simple as unbolting the helper handle on the end and then it's just a regular bar??

Yes just remove the helper handle.

These saws are not restored yet. Both have good compression and spark.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Yes just remove the helper handle.

These saws are not restored yet. Both have good compression and spark.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thanks a lot for the great with/with out helper handle pictures!! I see your short bar saw has the same spike setup as my dad's saw did.....nice.....I like it!!

Any chance there is a I.D. plate(s) that shows the saw info??

McCulloch powered.
I was reviewing this past thread in an attempt to understand what the c.c. output was of the first chainsaw my dad had vs. some of the bigger saws I've acquired. What I also found in reviewing the Mike Acres listing for this saw was the engine design had a 'square' / 2"x 2" bore & stroke configuration. In the automotive world this bore/stroke configuration used to be desirable for great torque and RPM. I realize that a engine designed for high RPM(chainsaw) is typically a bigger bore with a shorter stroke configuration.

So my question for Randy, or anyone, is there a McCulloch or any other chainsaw(s) that used a 'square' bore/stroke engine configuration??

P.S. Still on the lookout for one(or more/parts) of these saws as a tribute to my dad and how he started out his chainsaw usage in his logging endeavors vs. using a crosscut saw opposite of a big Swede named Hans. I'll find a picture of them and post it up when I get back home to a desktop computer vs. this tablet.

This is how my dad got the wood cut with his logging operation....... before he got the chainsaw this thread is about. The big guy closest to the camera was Hans, a great swede guy that worked for my dad, and my dad is in the background holding his favorite double bit axe. I've still got that axe and it's one sharp mutha!!

Wisconsin-FrankandHansChristianLend.jpg

My dad bought his very first chainsaw from Sears & Roebuck. It was back in the early-mid 1930's era I'm thinking!???

*edit* "The mid to late 40's"

Can anyone help me pinpoint the make and model of the chainsaw my dad is using in this picture below!??? Thanks in advance for any I.D. help as this is the only picture I've got of the saw. I'd sure like to have one for sentimental value some day....but need to know what I'm looking for!!!

DadsFirstChainsaw.jpg
Did you ever find a saw like your dads? Your story is very interesting to say the least. I find it very heartwarming that you are on a pursuit to find a saw that your dad had. I can relate as My dad passed down a 1946 2 man Disston and I quickly became addicted to collecting and restoring saws and no have 22 saws.... I believe I have the saw your looking for and would entertain selling it at a reasonable price. Let me know if your still looking for one and we can work out the details.

Back