Vintage Chainsaw Museum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The BP-1 utilized a unique "chassis", 1/2" pitch but smaller drivers more like the size of 3/8" pitch chain. There were three different versions, AR-8 is the "Auto Sharp" type chain with heavy cutters, AC-8 is the chipper type chain (in Rogers' photos above"), and A-8 also "Auto Sharp" type chain but with lighter stamped cutters.

This is A-8 type chain

20210206_170040.jpg

This is AC-8

20230510_161708.jpg

This is AR-8 with the heavy cutters and the drive sprocket peculiar to the "A" chassis.

20220323_204638.jpg

I have a couple of short pieces of the AR-8 chain but have never seen a full loop of it anywhere.

For the record, that gold colored drive sprocket is standard 1/2" pitch and not the correct one for the AC-8 chain shown in the photos.

Mark

A BP-1 story I have is there is a small engine shop in my area that was a McCulloch dealer up unto the very end. The first time I went there looking for Mac parts they mentioned their BP-1 on display and asked if I had ever heard of one. When I replied "I've seen 2 racing each other", they were very surprised to say the least.

Back