Was given a Pioneer P38 that needs chain tension screw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marktl

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I just acquired a Pioneer P38. After cleaning the carb, it runs great, but needs a chain tensioning screw. It didn't take much research to figure out its not easy finding parts for these machines. My local dealer says it looks like one from a Homelite may fit, but I wanted to get the advise from someone who is experienced with these saws before ordering a bunch of parts that may or may not work.

If all else fails, I'll buy a screw, cut a piece of steel, drill and tap a hole, and fabricate one myself, but it would be so much nicer just to buy one that will fit. Any Advise is appreciated.

I own 2 cheap saws, an 18" McCulloch Mac Cat I purchased at Home depot for $150 in 1989 (its cut several hundreds of trees and just won't die!), and recently purchased a $200 20" Homelite because I ran over the McCulloch with my Quad and snapped the chain break handle. Both saws work fine, but it’s going to be nice to finally have a real saw in the collection!

from what i hear u might just have one in that pioneer.also mabe that mac.if a saws doing good ,it jus doin good. no it wouldnt have a chance w a logger who used it several hrs a day.sounds like it does what it was made for tho. ive got to clean trees back on about a half mile
of drive way ,next wk. but that still aint what a fella keeping a saw in heavy cut several hrs a day,is got to have.in fact i think saws that can do that are just a little amazing.:) and if it was me on the other end that sucker it would have the best soup up job knew .i knew of ,no matter what it cost. that just makes buisiness sense to me.

Thanks Mike. I didn't find any dealers within a 50-mile radius who had the parts in stock so I could test them, but for $7 I just ordered them. I jerry-rigged a tension kit from a block I found in one of my screw jars, a 2" stainless screw, and a folded up piece of duct tape, so even if these parts don't fit exactly right, it will probably be better than what I got now.

Thanks Mike. I didn't find any dealers within a 50-mile radius who had the parts in stock so I could test them, but for $7 I just ordered them. I jerry-rigged a tension kit from a block I found in one of my screw jars, a 2" stainless screw, and a folded up piece of duct tape, so even if these parts don't fit exactly right, it will probably be better than what I got now.

Latest posts

Back