Water oak trimming

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bbeavers

Reaction score
I have just purchase a new home on 2 acres of land. The trees were very neglected and now I need some advice on one particular water oak that is near the driveway. Ive posted 3 pictures of whats going on. The branch and right side trunk are growing together and there is an old nub just above it that is in the mix also. Do I cut the branch off and pull it out of the tree trunk or has it grown together too. IMG_7816.JPEGIMG_7817.JPEGIMG_7818 (1).JPEG much and just best to leave it alone.

It depends. Some trees fuse together and live healthily, others grow together and make "scabs" on both pieces of wood with little to no actual contact between the two, and others attempt to fuse, then rot.

If the fusion is failed but scabbed, you could get away with leaving it or cutting it. If there's rot, you'll want to remove each piece that is infected/rotting. This could involve removing the whole second tree the branch grew into.

I'm not familiar with water oaks tendencies.

Back