Wedge use

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lobo

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

What size wedges (6", 8", 10") do you most often use, like the most and why?

:blob2:

I always use the 10" thru 14" wedges.. dont know why, just what I have always used.

5 1/2-8'' mostly, but i prefer to use my felling lever:angel:

Ryan, I have had no luck finding a felling lever locally, where did you get yours? I may make one if all else fails.

i got my felling lever from CCD (commercial cutters direct)
www.commercialcutters.com 1-800-611-8486. hope posting that does't break any rules:rolleyes: check and see if any members here cary them before you buy one else where:angel: just went to their website myself and didn't see the bar on the site but they do have them in their catolog so give'm a call:)

I've heard nothing but good things about CCD. I just stopped by their site and clicked the 'contact us' link. I hope it wasn't too forward, but I wrote them a short note asking them to check out Arboristsite and consider helping to sponsor the site. Perhaps if a few more of us do the same, we might encourage another quality sponsor to join up here.
(Ryan- usually if I want to pass along the website of a non-sponsor, I'll do it in a PM or email)

Back on topic- I rarely use wedges, I prefer to place a rope (tag line) to help pull over a tree or spar. If I need one, I use whatever is available. Been considering adding one to my toolbox, but it would probably just collect dust.

I use the smaller ones on the smaller trees.....or the medium is a good all around size for me....if your cutting a smaller tree it is easier to hit the bigger wedge with the chain.......I hope this helps

I love using the wedges, but only if it drives the butts or cheeks apart (as I often hear them called) at the time. The main objective seems to be a stump thats high enough to grab so I always leave it high ebough for the tractor to pull out:angel:

I have always used wedges I use a 5" when bucking and a 10" and 12" and even a 15" when felling,wedges are a very good tool to have when your out doing felling jobs etc...I recommened if you don't have any go get some.

Like Ryan said the felling bar is also a excellent tool but I only use then for the smaller tree's,and yes CCD does have those in stock...

Later Rob....

yeah, i love my felling lever but keep it to stuff 14'' and under or you'll drop a sac:eek:

Back