whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a mill loacal to me that could rip those boards for me cheap.

36-42" 4x4s, a couple 2x4s and some ripped sheets of plywood will get you through 99% of your set ups. No need to get fancy. Hemlock makes pretty good cribbing, light weight and fairly durable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

36-42" 4x4s, a couple 2x4s and some ripped sheets of plywood will get you through 99% of your set ups. No need to get fancy. Hemlock makes pretty good cribbing, light weight and fairly durable.

we have used oak 4x8's 42" long on our cranes up to 60t. they hold up well and aren't too difficult to handle. like to stay with oak, beech, and elm for strength. but that's just me.

probably be do able to cut them with an Alaskan chainsaw mill like my friend does.

We snapped one of 4 bridged over a driveway drain last winter. I just got off the ball and was on the ground when it snapped boomed over a house on this rig. Bit of a shocker. No harm no foul tho. Also here is a nice set up to climb off of invented by my friend and company owner. They have 8 cranes I think including a 50/60 tonner.

DSCF0677.JPG DSCF0675.JPG

Ordered 160 linear feet of 6x6 hemlock today from the mill. Will be ready next week. That's awesome because the first day out with the crane is this Saturday.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Invoked treeman's luck today. Dropped my wraptor about 60 feet. Was td ing an 90 foot 3 leader sug maple behind a house over the roof on the edge of an embankment ravine that ran another hundred feet way down to a creek. It hit on the handle bending it. I finished the tree and came down and it started right up and can rev it but need to put a pipe on the handle to bend it out a bit. Tough as an old school stihl. Plastic case fell off but it was on just one screw anyway and needed a repair before. I could climb on it tomorrow.

Ordered 160 linear feet of 6x6 hemlock today from the mill. Will be ready next week. That's awesome because the first day out with the crane is this Saturday.

Not sure I'd trust hemlock like Chef/OD said. Never seen it used before and it is so light I would worry about crushing. Like Tom said, I'd go with heavy hardwoods that are difficult to split in the firewood pile like beech, pinoak, elm, hedge etc. just my .02

I talked about oak with the mill. They told me the majority of the dunnage they sell is hemlock. 70 cents a linear foot opposed to 2 bucks for oak. I know the mill, they have 2 crews out doing tree work. Chief runs 60 tons daily for a huge outfit. He knows what he's talking about. Between the two, I'll sleep well at night.

not sleeping time I'd be worried about. but I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time.
And I don't know **** about setting up and running cranes. I'm learning. I've been wrong before too. That's why I'm getting info from all the local Ops I can. chief has a nation wide crane cert as well as MA specific. The company he runs with is literally amazing. They spare no expense and run hem on their 6 separate million dollar units. In fact they buy the dunnage from the same mill I ordered mine from.

pls. let me know how they work out. I plan to get a Nati 1400 in the next couple of years and hopefully keep the 990 I got. Any bigger needs I will sub til I am retired. But you always need rigger cribbing and rotate out the old stuff.

pls. let me know how they work out. I plan to get a Nati 1400 in the next couple of years and hopefully keep the 990 I got. Any bigger needs I will sub til I am retired. But you always need rigger cribbing and rotate out the old stuff.
It's a 25t. Hoping the info I've received is proper. I will take pics of the first set up this Saturday if I can get my **** together.. The mill says no dice til next week.

Jeez! I don't know what to celebrate today, 5 years on Arboristsite, Easter, Hitler's birthday, or national pot smoking day. I guess I take a smoke break and think about it. BRB!

In addition to Hitler, it was a great day to be royally born:
Marcus Aurelius Antonius (04/20/0121 – ?/0180)
Edward IV, King (England, 1461-83)
Emperor Go-Komyo of Japan (d. 1654)
Louis-Napoleon (Napoleon III), emperor of France (1852-71)
Carol I, King of Romania (1881-1914)

and... my 18th wedding anniversary.

not sleeping time I'd be worried about. but I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time.

I put an 80000 lb vehicle on 4 outriggers on top of hemlock 4x10s everyday, and then make picks ranging from 1800 lbs to 31000 pounds. Hemlock will be okay for Ducati.

I wouldn't go with hemlock. It's way to soft. I made some dunage out of sycamore. It seems to hold up really good.

I have half a skid of 4x6x36 pieces of dunage. You can have them if you come get them.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

I wouldn't go with hemlock. It's way to soft. I made some dunage out of sycamore. It seems to hold up really good.

I have half a skid of 4x6x36 pieces of dunage. You can have them if you come get them.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
I guess Massachusetts hem must be stronger than others then. I was told by more than one seasoned crane op here in the area that hem would be more than enough strong theses are 6x6 posts btw. Even the mill steered me towards it as opposed to oak, and they have a 2 crew tree service. I dunno. But I promise I'll come here and eat crow if it isn't :)

I guess Massachusetts hem must be stronger than others then. I was told by more than one seasoned crane op here in the area that hem would be more than enough strong theses are 6x6 posts btw. Even the mill steered me towards it as opposed to oak, and they have a 2 crew tree service. I dunno. But I promise I'll come here and eat crow if it isn't :)

you'll be fine with 6x6 hemlock with your boom truck. try to limit the span blocking and they will last.

Hemlock is some pretty strong stuff. Rubbery almost. It's no oak, but pretty tough stuff in its own right. You guys need to find more entertaining things to bicker about. Lol.

Still trying to finish this beast of a job. 110 yards of chips out so far, plus countless blown into woods. A few more to cut, then down to the boring part, cleanup, moving wood, picking up plywood, etc. Hate finishing big jobs, it always drags. Another day above the dirt anyway.

Hemlock is some pretty strong stuff. Rubbery almost. It's no oak, but pretty tough stuff in its own right. You guys need to find more entertaining things to bicker about. Lol.

Still trying to finish this beast of a job. 110 yards of chips out so far, plus countless blown into woods. A few more to cut, then down to the boring part, cleanup, moving wood, picking up plywood, etc. Hate finishing big jobs, it always drags. Another day above the dirt anyway.
Bicker, haven't heard that word in a while. Eh, it keeps it interesting anyway. Ha.

Was interviewed by the news, pollen count is up and they wanted to know why .........uh, its spring. They then interview a biker about his allergies, he has his vest on and it says on a patch. "Free Mustache Rides" ROFLMAO! Couldn't believe they ran that! Too bad they didnt post that part on the site! I wanted ya'll to see it.

http://www.kwqc.com/story/25313051/high-tree-pollen-leads-to-severe-allergies

I think the softness...and rubberiness (a word?) would be at issue with deformation and driveway cracking. Chef seems to be the last opinion in his mind but he can go make me a ham and cheese :)

I hate big jobs too and equipment intensive ones and all my compartmentalized stuff ends up in a heap in storage from being too tired at the end and dying to finish. Takes a few days to get back in the groove.

Back