Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He is probably talking about the high flow pump, I don't know the part number.
A 28" bar will likely have oiling issues with the stock 460 oil pump. Heck, even my 660 had issues with the stock oiler and a 28"
I swapped in an aftermarket (cheap) high flow oiler and now it oils like a champ, even with a 36"
The MS460R has higher output oil pump then MS460. I think the MS461R is the same pump but not 100% sure. I put MS460R pump in my MS362 I just couldn't get a tank of oil with a tank of fuel with the stock 362 oiler max-out.

In the hardwoods we have here, a stock 660 is about right with a 25"-28" bar. It'll do a 32" or even 36", but you aren't going to be winning any speed contests
Wow, that’s a good testament to a 395xp. Wood where I’m at is as hard as it gets in the US, and it’s fast as any saw with a 36”, and pulls a 42 often, very adequately.

Wow, that’s a good testament to a 395xp. Wood where I’m at is as hard as it gets in the US, and it’s fast as any saw with a 36”, and pulls a 42 often, very adequately.
One thing I guess I should add- I'm running with a full chisel, even on the longer bars, so that might make a difference.

I always thought the 660 was a little of a dog as it came from the factory. A better muffler and retune helps a lot. EPA compliance stuff really hindered the 660, 260, 460, etc. from the factory.
I've never run Huskys, so I can't compare. I know I was really happy with my 660 with a 28, full chisel chain and a 7 pin sprocket. I've got a 36" .404 full chisel on it now, and it pulls it fine, but it isn't going to be winning a race with the bar buried. It was a little faster with the 36" 3/8" bar. Big old dead, dry white oaks will make it earn its keep :)

One thing I guess I should add- I'm running with a full chisel, even on the longer bars, so that might make a difference.

I always thought the 660 was a little of a dog as it came from the factory. A better muffler and retune helps a lot. EPA compliance stuff really hindered the 660, 260, 460, etc. from the factory.
I've never run Huskys, so I can't compare. I know I was really happy with my 660 with a 28, full chisel chain and a 7 pin sprocket. I've got a 36" .404 full chisel on it now, and it pulls it fine, but it isn't going to be winning a race with the bar buried. It was a little faster with the 36" 3/8" bar. Big old dead, dry white oaks will make it earn its keep :)
In running full chisel, but 3/8. Had to cut up 2 pecans, both about 2 feet in diameter. I just cut them into 4 foot sections for a grapple. They were just short of about 70 feet tall. Barely got the saw warmed up. Had to stop by deer camp on the way home and noodle some big live oak to burn through its tank. I think 660’s are good saws and I also run a 661. I feel like they handle very well, but a 395 is just a bit more saw.

In running full chisel, but 3/8. Had to cut up 2 pecans, both about 2 feet in diameter. I just cut them into 4 foot sections for a grapple. They were just short of about 70 feet tall. Barely got the saw warmed up. Had to stop by deer camp on the way home and noodle some big live oak to burn through its tank. I think 660’s are good saws and I also run a 661. I feel like they handle very well, but a 395 is just a bit more saw.
I really like the 660 platform but ya the 395xp pulls better with longer bars there is no doubt, the quad transfer are an improvement over the 660.

Good thread! I was going to start a discussion like this, but I did a search first. I stripped down my MS311 for a thorough cleaning, and decided to change the bar. I priced the suggested Tsumura and Sugi-Hara bars and in the 20" flavor, they run well over $100. Understandable since both are the replaceable tip type. I found the OEM Stihl lite (sprocket tip - not replaceable) for $65 from my local Stihl dealer or around $55+shipping online. I have no doubt the Tsu and Suigi bars are both high quality, and their prices are more in line with other replaceable tip bars. Since my infrequent usage has netted me 10 or more years of use, I figured the Stihl is good enough.

Good thread! I was going to start a discussion like this, but I did a search first. I stripped down my MS311 for a thorough cleaning, and decided to change the bar. I priced the suggested Tsumura and Sugi-Hara bars and in the 20" flavor, they run well over $100. Understandable since both are the replaceable tip type. I found the OEM Stihl lite (sprocket tip - not replaceable) for $65 from my local Stihl dealer or around $55+shipping online. I have no doubt the Tsu and Suigi bars are both high quality, and their prices are more in line with other replaceable tip bars. Since my infrequent usage has netted me 10 or more years of use, I figured the Stihl is good enough.

If you decide you do want a Tsumura, you can get the Tsumura on ebay for $70 with free shipping and a free chain:
20" Tsumura

or a 20" light tsumura with free chain and shipping for $96
20" Tsumura Light

That seller has been 100% top-notch when I have bought from them as well.

If you decide you do want a Tsumura, you can get the Tsumura on ebay for $70 with free shipping and a free chain:
20" Tsumura

or a 20" light tsumura with free chain and shipping for $96
20" Tsumura Light

That seller has been 100% top-notch when I have bought from them as well.
look for the laser brand, tsumura makes the higher end ultra and light weight bars.
This is just an example, not certain if it fits your saw.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2964629795...QIkJ388QTy&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Is your recommended Laser brand made by Tsmura? Or is this simply a comparable brand?
Laser has several different bars rebranded under their name. The laser "ultra" and "light weight" bar models are made by tsumura, and typically cheaper then tsumura branded bars. So worth looking at as an option. Total was another brand selling tsmura bars under their total brand.

I've run Oregon and Stihl bars in the past. I prefer the Stihl bars and run them on most of my firewood saws. Due to cost and lack of use, I run an Oregon bar on my big saw. I was at my local dealership this past week and they had a light weight bar laying on the counter. IIRC it was a 24" bar. Out of curiosity, I picked it up and was pretty surprised by how light it felt. I didn't have anything to compare it to at the time, but I'd be willing to consider spending the extra $$ for them the next time I need one (which may be never).

I know you aren't interested in expensive bars, but I would offer this. Whether you run your saw often or not, IF you spend all day with it in your hand when you use it, then it's worth setting it up correctly so that it's not wearing you out as fast. It's not only more productive, its safer too. Just a thought.

I know you aren't interested in expensive bars, but I would offer this. Whether you run your saw often or not, IF you spend all day with it in your hand when you use it, then it's worth setting it up correctly so that it's not wearing you out as fast. It's not only more productive, its safer too. Just a thought.
I agree with you. The mitigating factors are how often I use a chainsaw - a few times a year - and how long I use the machine when I do. Each time I saw, it ends up being for quite a few hours - usually cutting up downed trees (or bucking tree(s) I have downed). What you say makes sense. I do, however, take frequent rests, and I'll look into lighter bars.

I agree with you. The mitigating factors are how often I use a chainsaw - a few times a year - and how long I use the machine when I do. Each time I saw, it ends up being for quite a few hours - usually cutting up downed trees (or bucking tree(s) I have downed). What you say makes sense. I do, however, take frequent rests, and I'll look into lighter bars.
To be fair, I don't (yet) own any light bars either :)

Everybody has their preference, but for me, there isn't really enough benefit in a light bar to justify the cost until they start getting in the 24"-25" range. Below that I stay with standard.

That said, I have a 3/8" Archer bar, 18" on a 026, and man, that thing feels heavy. It feels heavier than the 20" Stihl and Oregon bars. I like it, and it seems to be good quality, but it is chunky.

To be fair, I don't (yet) own any light bars either
I looked around on websites, and before the links to the ebay bars were suggested - tsumura, laser, etc - I decided to go to my dealer and pick up a Stihl bar. My ms311 saw came with a 20" Rollomatic E bar. The guy at the dealer pulled a stihl Light 04 bar off the rack and said it's a lot lighter than a regular bar. I gave him a hard time - told him to be careful what he said because my next question was going to be 'How much lighter?'. To make a long story short. Today I weighed my Rollomatic E bar. It still has some oil soaked sawdust attached, but it weighed in at 2# 4.4oz (1031 grams). The new Light 04 bar weighed 2# 4.6 oz (1036 grams).

So much for advertising hogwash.

I looked around on websites, and before the links to the ebay bars were suggested - tsumura, laser, etc - I decided to go to my dealer and pick up a Stihl bar. My ms311 saw came with a 20" Rollomatic E bar. The guy at the dealer pulled a stihl Light 04 bar off the rack and said it's a lot lighter than a regular bar. I gave him a hard time - told him to be careful what he said because my next question was going to be 'How much lighter?'. To make a long story short. Today I weighed my Rollomatic E bar. It still has some oil soaked sawdust attached, but it weighed in at 2# 4.4oz (1031 grams). The new Light 04 bar weighed 2# 4.6 oz (1036 grams).

Trust but verify... Actually, if I'm talking to ANY kind of dealership, I don't even trust. I'll likely know as much about the subject as 90% of their staff when I walk in the door, especially if I'm talking to someone that doesn't' have any grease under their fingernails.

Just out of curiosity, is your 20" bar the same length/gauge/pitch as the Light 04 bar that you weighed? If not, that would make a difference.

I haven't ever weighed them, but I do know that my 24" Tsumura light bar is noticeably better balanced on the saw that it is on, then the same length/gauge/pitch Rollomatic ES that was on it. Not that I minded the Stihl bar either, just giving my experiences.
When it comes to the light bars though, I do prefer the Tsumura over the Stihl, I couldn't tell you why, I just like them better.

Back