What is Horsepower?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well Simon,,,,

Thanks, I thought it would be an educational thread. There are so many misconceptions out there. There have been some good posts.

Give us your spin on the HP definition and which one in your opinion is the best ,,, since you started this thread!!!! :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Last edited:
The correct answer is 2 HP,,,,,

Thats how many Clydesdales it would take to drag any one of them off of my face!!!!!!!!

:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

See the girls????? well they are #2 HP's ?????

attachment.php

All Right, Now their the real Husky Preformance sweatys (HPs) I'd say #1

Last edited:
Wouldent the pull of the chain = the HP devoloped? (a duller chain pulling the same just at a slower speed taking less chip)

Hopping to enter this idea with the CS wench earler.

It's to my under standing that a dull chain just slides over the wood making sawdust.

Power does NOT equal torque/time.

Torque is just a type of force. There is no unit to describe force/time because it has no meaning. I could put 10 ft-lbs on a lug nut until the next ice age, and I STILL would not have done ANY work (and thus produced no power) UNLESS AND UNTIL there was some movement (distance) involved. I would have to actually TWIST the lug nut, not just put torque on it, to do any work.

OK, one more time, with feeling:

Work = force x distance = torque (in ft-lbs) x distance (in revolutions)

Power = Work / Time = force x distance / time = torque x revolutions / time

:clap:

Torque is just a type of force. There is no unit to describe force/time because it has no meaning. I could put 10 ft-lbs on a lug nut until the next ice age, and I STILL would not have done ANY work (and thus produced no power) UNLESS AND UNTIL there was some movement (distance) involved. I would have to actually TWIST the lug nut, not just put torque on it, to do any work.

A revolution doesn't have distance. :cheers:

Last edited:

Straight from my college physics book I haven't opened in almost 20 years.

Physics
Second Edition
Volume 1
Paul A. Tipler
Oakland University
Rochester, Michican
Copyright 1976, 1982 by Worth Publications Inc
Library of Congress Catalog Card No. 81-70206

Page 183
Section 6-10
Last sentence on the page

Definition of horsepower:
1 horsepower = 550 ft*lb/s

We know that a ft*lb is torque, can we agree on that? The "/s" means the torque is divided by time.

Now, maybe they have rewritten physics textbooks since 1982, but I don't think so. If you disagree with the definition of horsepower, you have a whole lot of explaining to do to the rest of the world. Maybe you'll get a Nobel out of it. Good luck! ;)

After pulling some weeds in the flower garden (and getting rained out) and thinking about what you wrote, I see what you're saying.

Looking at James Watt's original definition of a horsepower, which is

1 horsepower = 33,000 lb*ft/min.
Basically, he said that one horsepower was the ability to lift 33,000 pounds one foot in one minute.

33,000 lb*ft/min is an equation that acts on a free body in a linear fashion, a body that is allowed to move. It's not uncommon to have physics problems to operate on a free body. What we want is an eqation that acts on a shaft. The equation for power in a rotational motion is P = T*w where P is power, T is torque and w is angular velocity as defined by w = d(theta)/dt where d(theta) is the angular displacement. Sorry, I'm not looking up the ascii characters for Greek. :) So, torqueing a lugnut and not moving it nets zero angular displacement thus driving the horsepower to zero.

In a previous post, you wrote this:
(work is force applied OVER A DISTANCE).

That is true of work applied to a body that can move linearly. With rotation, we have no distance. We do have angular displacement though.

When we talk about torque as pertaining to engines, we assume there is angular displacement of the crankshaft, otherwise we need to start the engine. :)

Hope I explained it in a way you can understand and sorry I jumped the gun on my previous posts. I had to think about it. Good question. :clap:

edit: For clarification, Watt defined a horsepower as it pertains to linear motion. You crank on a lugnut in a rotational motion. A little different equation, but the same idea.

Last edited:
Back