What is it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The picture I posted was a painting dated 1940 and sold in 2006 by Treadway galleries. The painting came from John Toomey Gallery, Oak Park, Ill. This was the info on the painting.
C.B. Tarlton (American, 20th century), “Indiana Landscape”, c. 1940; gouache, 23” x 31”, signed. Tarlton worked in Richmond, Indiana painting landscapes.
Ray, notice that my painting is similar but not exactly the same. Looks like Tarlton painted the same area at least twice. The size is almost identical (23" x 31'), so he was probably using the same easel and paper on each occasion.

Notice the old fence in each case--obviously the same approximate area. The water is similar but not identical, and my painting appears to show more trees. He captures the reflection in the water perfectly, the huge buttress roots of the beech trees, their unique bark, the large rocks adjacent to the water, and the fallen leaves.

I wager that my painting was created about ten years after the image that you posted. Amazing art!

Ray, notice that my painting is similar but not exactly the same. Looks like Tarlton painted the same area at least twice. The size is almost identical (23" x 31'), so he was probably using the same easel and paper on each occasion.

Notice the old fence in each case--obviously the same approximate area. The water is similar but not identical, and my painting appears to show more trees. He captures the reflection in the water perfectly, the huge buttress roots of the beech trees, their unique bark, the large rocks adjacent to the water, and the fallen leaves.

I wager that my painting was created about ten years after the image that you posted. Amazing art!

I'd love to know where this location is, obviously it's the same area for both of your paintings. I could send my wife out to reproduce your paintings on film as it looks today. That would be kinda neat.

Back