What is the differece between the models of a Stihl 009

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camel

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi,
i am a proud owner of a 009 for approx 70 US$ in exellent shape.
I have heared, there were different models.Is it possible to build the saw with the "009 L" Cylinder and Piston or how does it get the extra 0,5 hp?
Thx

The only difference between the two saws is the piston/cylinder. The 009 has a stroke of 36mm and a bore of 36mm, the 009L has a 36mm stroke with a 38mm bore. The 009L has two rings where the 009 only has one. Great care must be taken when removing the cylinder on an 009 as the rod bearing is individual rollers and will fall out, there is a special Stihl tool to keep them in place but it is possible to do the job without it.

Howdy-

I usually keep the rollers in place but putting a coat of grease around the whle works. Sedanman is correct, the bore is the only difference, and quite usually most dealers have some old 009Ls in the junkpile which I'm sure they'd let go of for a few bucks. The new 009L piston and rings can be had brand new for $48.00. One thing the 009 and 011 really does benefit from though is having the inside of the muffler sandblasted. They have a tiny little exhaust opening which almost always gets plugged. Clean out the muffler and open up that exhaust outlet a bit.

If you want the most displacement that's possible with stock parts use the cylinder and piston from an 012. 012 had the same 36mm stroke with a 40mm bor for a displacement of 45.2cc.

thx guys, if i have time, i will tune it up.
Let´s see, what i can get in the german "used market"...
C.

Back