What is the strangest request for service you ever got a call for?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdqdl

Old enough to know better.
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
OK. Today was really odd. I got a call from a contractor I do frequent work for. He wanted to know if I was available to handle an emergency call at a large chain of banks that we frequently service. It doesn't matter what they ask for, we just go do it.

Today: "Can you go pick up a dead rooster and three coconuts at the bank at ..."
Apparently, someone had done a voodoo ritual of some sort and left a shrine at the bank! (or so I thought). Upon doing some research, it seems more likely to have been a blessing of some sort done by a Santerian, an Afro-Caribbean religion. They seem to feature blessings and other "magic" that involve animal sacrifices and other offerings to deities in exchange for a blessing or gain of some sort.

Chicken and coconut feature prominently in some of their ritual recipes. Yes. I looked up a 180 page long pdf of ritual magic, as I wanted to know the meaning of the event I was going to dispose of.

I found a few references to leaving some coins ($$ !!!) as well, so I was planning to check out the shrine real well for coinage or other signs of a ritual practice.
:happybanana:

Upon arrival, I determined that if I was a deity to that offering, I wouldn't have been giving up too many blessings. It was only two dead cocks in a plastic grocery bag. The "three coconuts" turned out to be 4 chunks of coconut tossed onto the sidewalk. I got no ritually offered coins, either.
:(

It all went into the dumpster.

Cat rescues are always fun... had one in Bastrop, he was sitting right in a crotch of a big oak. Set a line right nest to him, climbed up right next to him, and of course right as I got right by him he skittered out 30 feet out on a limb... by this time it was dark... had to reset my line and limb walk out, had them send up some treats and a gunny sack... bagged him and sent him down, and of course the HO let him out and he ran back up another tree! I told them to call me in 3 days if he hadn't come out, never seen a cat starve to death in a tree...

Back