What to look for when buying an old bucket truck?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babaoriley

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine and transmission I can check them but other than that I don’t know what to look for. It’s a chip dump truck as well. Owner said it needs PTO and pump. I have no clue what it means or how much does it cost to get those fixed. Any advice would be appreciated!

PTO drive will be on the trans case so that in itself can be expensive. Then, I'd look at the hoses to the bucket from the turntable, a set can set you back over a grand and then all the bushings in all the rotating and telescoping assemblies. It could very well turn out to be a money pit.

a set can set you back over a grand
over $1300 for ONE hose on my truck

without counting, I think theres 16 or so of them

Engine and transmission I can check them but other than that I don’t know what to look for. It’s a chip dump truck as well. Owner said it needs PTO and pump. I have no clue what it means or how much does it cost to get those fixed. Any advice would be appreciated!
pins, annual inspection, hoses, function, does the boom make any sounds or shakes? should be dead silent when operating (minus hydraulic sounds)

a hellacious squeal from a cylinder is most likely the counterbalance cartridge out of adjustment, this is a MUST FIX item, boom is unsafe without those adjusted properly (takes 10 minutes to do all of them if you know what you're doing)

the leveling chains can become worn and out of adjustment also, check for knicks in the fiberglass or chipped gel coat (both may be repairable, although major damage isn't)
check for non factory welds, make sure all functions operate good (upper and lower)

the PTO and hydraulic pump alone can set you back a few thousand quickly, the PTO alone may be $2500 or more, same for the hydraulic pump

how old is the truck? anything over 20 years old and I wouldn't really consider buying it knowing what I know now (mines 32 years old and beat)
is it a brand that still has parts available (Altec, Terex?) mines a Holan and parts are impossible to find

check the turret mounting bolts and the U bolts holding the turret to the frame, they must be torqued correctly, if not things can shift around or break

also check the bucket mounting, and bucket corners for cracks, also check the bottom of the bucket for wear holes from the headache rack, check the boom near the boom rest for cracks, I've seen multiple booms broken from forgetting the boom rest strap and trying to boom up out of the cradle, that boom section and anything else damaged by it has to be replaced to pass inspection, not cheap to do

Bucket trucks are built on a cab and chassis combo, in the truck there is supposed to be the factory owners manual for the truck chassis, and the boom, if not, then you need to find them to be OSHA compliant, ESPECIALLY THE BOOM MANUAL, the manual has all the critical information (including some service info such as bolt torques, how to check swing motor play, hydraulic fluid spec, etc)

as for the dump bed, make sure the hoist works, and isn't rusted out, check the floor of the box for cracks (and the roof, not uncommon to hit the truck with stray limbs)

if the PTO is shot, you may be able to plumb a skidsteer or chipper (anything with hydraulics) into the system to test it, although you WILL ruin ALL the dielectric integrity of the dielectric hydraulic fluid in the system, (supposed to be DE fluid anyhow) and you will have to flush the entire system, not a huge deal but these systems hold a lot of fluid (20+ gallons sometimes), also make sure to run low flow, these systems operate on 10GPM or thereabouts, most equipment is 18-40GPM and will LAUNCH a boom like nobody's business

Thank you very much for all the replies especially zintrees. I’ll make a check list to check the truck. If it ain’t worth it I’ll pass. From my experience buying a more expensive good working truck is a lot better than a problematic truck.
Got that right, spending 30k on a great shape newer truck is better than 10 or 15k on an old worn out truck thst needs a lot of work

I was working with a guy a couple years ago, we spent a long time checking out and buying a 1972 f650 bucket truck. The old tree guy who was selling it kept damn good care of it - every grease fitting, every bearing, redone hydraulics, door hinges, etc. But even so, my boss shouldn't have bought it. Most of those parts you will never find except on another one of those trucks, so pretty much impossible. It was a absolute b i t c h to drive, got 6 miles to the gallon, the double batteries would go dead at weird times, the boom worked but it was slow and it would get sketchy when one outrigger started to lift up. Bad investment.

Like someone said, older than 20 years I wouldn't buy it. Hydraulics and boom parts are gonna be hella expensive.

I was working with a guy a couple years ago, we spent a long time checking out and buying a 1972 f650 bucket truck. The old tree guy who was selling it kept damn good care of it - every grease fitting, every bearing, redone hydraulics, door hinges, etc. But even so, my boss shouldn't have bought it. Most of those parts you will never find except on another one of those trucks, so pretty much impossible. It was a absolute b i t c h to drive, got 6 miles to the gallon, the double batteries would go dead at weird times, the boom worked but it was slow and it would get sketchy when one outrigger started to lift up. Bad investment.

Like someone said, older than 20 years I wouldn't buy it. Hydraulics and boom parts are gonna be hella expensive.
basically any forestry bucket will float outriggers, its safe, also 6 MPG is pretty standard, we are talking about 20-40 thousand pound trucks, not an F150

but yes, parts for old booms are impossible to find
any boom should operate at a decent speed if you are running the correct engine RPM, and also, most any bucket will suck to drive, super topheavy, under powered, and if you're lucky its atleast not a manual with a stupid wide ratio that lugs the engine down

welcome to bucket trucks, dont like it? rent a lift and have it delivered to every job, put the problems onto the rental company

I mean yeah, you're not wrong, but the point I'm tryna get across is the older it gets the worse it's gonna be.
I've ran 10, 15, 20 year old buckets and they're awesome compared to the 50 year old one.
(Roger's was the old guy, no longer in business)

Attachments

• 20231017_170958.jpg
    20231017_170958.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Back