What tree should I plant?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am in Kansas Zone 7A according to the new map. I have extremely compacted clay soil. The top layer will be dry but if I dig down over 6-8 inches it is wet and is like the worst molding clay in the world. Soil PH is 7.2 and the Nitrogen level is at a 2.93 and Optimal is 7-18 for the test that I used. This spot does get full sun until around 2 pm then it has shade, because it's only a 6 foot tall tree. Once it grows above the house it will have some all day sun. I have planted 1 Amur maple but it struggled. It was in the ground 1 year. The leaves were super small, so I dug it up and now in it's place is a October Glory Maple. The leaves are wilting. When I planted this tree I put down some Root Growth Stimulator and I have watered it with a tree bag. I have not Fertilized yet. I am afraid of overwatering because I know down there is it still wet. I have come to the conclusion that this maple is not going to do well in this spot so I want to replace it with something else and I will probably put this tree in a big pot until I can find a suitable place for it. For me the most important is shade, no mess and fast growing and maybe about 30 to 40 feet tall. It's a small space so I will have to do a lot of pruning on the side that will be closest to the house. Thanks in advance for any input.

Welcome!
Photos of what you have already planted and where you want to plant would be helpful.
You're already provided a lot of information, I'm sure an expert will check in shortly to assist you.

I am in Kansas Zone 7A according to the new map. I have extremely compacted clay soil. The top layer will be dry but if I dig down over 6-8 inches it is wet and is like the worst molding clay in the world. Soil PH is 7.2 and the Nitrogen level is at a 2.93 and Optimal is 7-18 for the test that I used. This spot does get full sun until around 2 pm then it has shade, because it's only a 6 foot tall tree. Once it grows above the house it will have some all day sun. I have planted 1 Amur maple but it struggled. It was in the ground 1 year. The leaves were super small, so I dug it up and now in it's place is a October Glory Maple. The leaves are wilting. When I planted this tree I put down some Root Growth Stimulator and I have watered it with a tree bag. I have not Fertilized yet. I am afraid of overwatering because I know down there is it still wet. I have come to the conclusion that this maple is not going to do well in this spot so I want to replace it with something else and I will probably put this tree in a big pot until I can find a suitable place for it. For me the most important is shade, no mess and fast growing and maybe about 30 to 40 feet tall. It's a small space so I will have to do a lot of pruning on the side that will be closest to the house. Thanks in advance for any input.

You might want to start a grove of swamp white oak. It would be beautiful.

https://www.kansasforests.org/conservation_trees/products/deciduous/swampwhiteoak.html

https://search.brave.com/search?q=t...p&summary=1&summary_og=a6ebeeb4ee6fcaa33179dd

Put one of those tree watering bags around it. You can find them on amazon. They’re not cheap but might help you regulate watering.

Have you considered improving/replacing the soil where the tree is to be planted? Like 3' feet deep and same diameter, loam and compost/manure.
I have but not to that extent. Mostly because this is a rental unit and I don't want to invest that kind of money into. I do add stuff like Sea Kelp and BioChar by The Anderson's. I have added a few other products over the past 2 years. The BioChar is improving it in the location I apply it the most. The proof to me was when I went to dig a hole for a completely different tree the first inch was actual loamy soil that people desire to have. Any hints on other products to apply to help make this conversion happen faster?

My recommedation would be Nyssa Sylvatica (Tupelo or black gum) Also Nyssa Aquatica.

https://www.arboretum.purdue.edu/explorer/plants/456/

Latest posts

Back