What's on your bench

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice, never saw one in person yet. I restored a 150hp inline 6 cylinder Mercury outboard last year and I enjoyed working on it. It was a torque monster, I was the only guy around that would work on it. Customer was stoked when it was done.

Just an update on the Stihl 044 that I was working on in the past, seems like the issue was definitely the low jet as the saw hasn't had issues since once it warms up. It will still flood out a little if its cold and set down after a cut but warmed up it runs like a top. Still running it on the rich side until the rings seat but after 4-5 tanks its feeling mighty strong! I think I need a bigger saw to know what lots of compression is though because this is pulling about 185psi and I can hardly tell that it has compression lol, just a big guy I guess.

Just an update on the Stihl 044 that I was working on in the past, seems like the issue was definitely the low jet as the saw hasn't had issues since once it warms up. It will still flood out a little if its cold and set down after a cut but warmed up it runs like a top. Still running it on the rich side until the rings seat but after 4-5 tanks its feeling mighty strong! I think I need a bigger saw to know what lots of compression is though because this is pulling about 185psi and I can hardly tell that it has compression lol, just a big guy I guess.
nice, one of my favorite saws.

Straight gassed FS90, FS 75 bad fuel and MS390 with water in fuel (both carbs corroded and a big vacuum leak on 390). TS420 with no power (someone got to the limiter caps and had the high 3 turns out). Last and waiting for tomorrow, MS441C with a fuel tank of very cloudy (dirty) fuel. Filter and solenoid should do it.

Three in, three done today. Tree service neighbor dumped his usual pile of broken small saws on me, 3 to 4 at a time. MS171 was missing throttle lever because of the unbelievably bad design of the handle and trigger, already did a 181 for him. Top half of the handle just pops right off, is clip fit in place, and when it does the throttle lever falls off. They changed the single piece handle assembly of the 170/180/210 to this incredibly dumb design. Worst throttle rod setup I've ever seen, doesn't even clip on to the carburetor anywhere, just pushes up on a lever. Had to put a zip tie on the handle to stop it from doing it again.
Husky 435 and 440 were broken starter cords and missing screws on the starter cases, plus neither goes to full rpm, been run super rich way too long. They run now and are useable but could be better, couldn't get a good tune, but all of his saws could be better cause he does no maintenance. Carbs need cleaning I imagine but he didn't bring them to me for that, just minimal repair to make them somewhat useable again. He's taken to renting from me to have dependable working saws. Works for me, I've made $320 renting a 20+ year old 455 Rancher for the last two months I would have sold to anyone for less. Anyone run Sea Foam or anything similar through some of their tanks of gas? Looking on old posts here seems a lot of people have had good luck with it using maybe a capful a tank. Never thought of trying that on mildly dirty carbs vs taking them apart and cleaning them, or just as a preventative measure to keep carbs running clean.2BD4CD4A-A6B7-41A4-9B5F-C5647A424183.jpeg

I posted this Stihl 010AV on here about 5 months ago and just finally got to it. bought it for 10 bucks when I went to an estate sale to buy some machine tools. by looking at how the guy kept his other stuff and hearing that it was his only saw, I figured it would run. fired on a carb prime so I ordered a carb kit and an AV buffer for the bottom of the rear handle.

cleaned the carb and installed the kit this morning. the parts that were in the carb when I took it apart did not look or feel that old. realized that the gasket and diaphragm on the inlet needle side were installed in the wrong order. put the new kit in anyway and it runs like a top. piston, ring and cylinder look great thru the exhaust port.

since it was running nice, decided to go ahead and clean it. realized that the spark plug boot was completely loose on the plug as the spring connector in the boot needed to be crimped tight and there was a spot rubbed in the spark plug wire thru to the cable, so need to fix those. the new annular buffer tightened things up nicely and all the other ones are in good shape. there's a bit of a rattle in the clutch so need to take it off and have a look.

the fuel tank vent is just a hose with no check valve or anything in it or on it. tends to weep fuel into the carb/filter compartment. the IPL I looked at online does not show anything clearly for the vent hose but there is some kind of long black line shown marked part #15 that is no longer in the parts list. does anyone know what the skinny is on that? thanks!

PXL_20240915_210321792.MP.jpg

got this running nicely. still need to solve the tank vent seepage. maybe I'll find one of those sintered copper bead plugs I've seen in other brands. I searched and didn't see anything positive about this model. were they not a good small saw?

View attachment 1205550
Before they used the sintered brass plugs some saws just had a machine screw jammed in the end of the tube... it was crude but worked as long as it was pushed in... if you screwed it in it would cut enough of a thread to seal

MS201TC. It will do the triangle position. But, if you rev it up for a few seconds it slowly idles down and dies.
I took the intake manifold and impulse line off. They are fine. Spark plug was loose, so I thought that might be it, but same thing. So, I tried it in the triangle position again and when I turn it upside down it dies.

So I set it aside and worked on some of the other 20 or so pieces waiting.

Anyhow, I can replace the solenoid easy enough. May plug it in to the diagnostic tool, but generally find it pretty useless.

Straight gassed FS90, FS 75 bad fuel and MS390 with water in fuel (both carbs corroded and a big vacuum leak on 390). TS420 with no power (someone got to the limiter caps and had the high 3 turns out). Last and waiting for tomorrow, MS441C with a fuel tank of very cloudy (dirty) fuel. Filter and solenoid should do it.
Had a TS420 in this week that had a Dewalt blade on it with wrong size arbor hole and was maybe 1/3 -1/2 inch out of round. Complaint was it ran good but stalled when you put it in a brick.

Latest posts

Back