What's the BEST hearing protection on the market?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I watched my dad become deaf from using chainsaws in the 1950s and 60's and I'm already legally deaf (too much exposure to loud 70's rock music according to the audiologist) so I have to look after what hearing I have left! So its the best muffs I can get [Peltor 10HA or B] plus earplugs as well when operating the muffler modded 880.
Ozzy got half my right ear back in the day.

In
I desperately need to conserve what little hearing I have left. Between guns, chainsaws, machinery, and wifey, I am now unable to comprehend alot of what is being said(maybe a good thing sometimes). I recently got a Homey 66 Wiz, and even wearing "average" earmuffs, that saw sounds like the muffs are barely doing anything. But ALL saws are loud. Any suggestions? Thanks.
I desperately need to conserve what little hearing I have left. Between guns, chainsaws, machinery, and wifey, I am now unable to comprehend alot of what is being said(maybe a good thing sometimes). I recently got a Homey 66 Wiz, and even wearing "average" earmuffs, that saw sounds like the muffs are barely doing anything. But ALL saws are loud. Any suggestions? Thanks.
I was driving home with a load of firewood last week & noticed how quiet and smooth my old truck was running, and smiled. 15 miles later it dawned on me that I had just modified my chainsaw muffler & forgot to wear my ear plugs. I imagine by next week sometime my truck won't be running so smooth anymore.

Exactly what I was going to say.
This came from a google search:
What is the highest possible noise reduction rating?

"The highest NRR rating for earplugs is 33, and the highest available NRR rating for earmuffs is 31. These values reflect the level of noise protection available for each device when worn alone. Combining earplugs with earmuffs can offer a NRR protection level of 36."

I use the EAR Grande plugs, with an NRR rating of 33. Bonus points is that they're longer, which makes them easier to get back out, especially soon after clipping my finger nails. I'm guessing over the years, I've pushed my ear drums deeper into the cavity from so much ear plug use. It was getting really hard to get out the standard size.

And what they don't say above is that muffs wear over time and lose some of their initial NRR.

Back