What's the ideal 2 stroke oil brand and mix ratio to have?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I live in Lebanon, colebrook area. Not far from the Lancaster line.
Hey neighbor! That's close as well! Lots of small engine enthusiasts in this area!

I have family over in Myerstown, pass through your area when visiting!

Lancaster filled with farm land!

Hey neighbor! That's close as well! Lots of small engine enthusiasts in this area!

I have family over in Myerstown, pass through your area when visiting!

Lancaster filled with farm land!
Yeah, quite a few of us around these parts. Everyone I've met has been first rate guys.

Schaeffer's 7000 boat oil 40/1 is the cleanest burning oil i ever used ran it 6 year's until it practically doubled in price.
Same with shindaiwa/echo red armor i ran it around 8 year's good oil but got spendy
I saw egg shooter on another forum had a bunch of tests on different oils in trimmers dominator was near the top but I'm cheap and the inexpensive castrol go 2'cycle did very well so I bought 6 quarts for 32.00
Then i bought 12 more quarts no complaints burns pretty clean.
I'm not sure if run marine oil in an air cooled engine.
40:1 for me with whatever 2 stroke oil I have. Right now I have a case of Dollar General oil that was gifted to me. Runs fine

I'm not sure if run marine oil in an air cooled engine.
40:1 for me with whatever 2 stroke oil I have. Right now I have a case of Dollar General oil that was gifted to me. Runs fine
That is the problem w/ Inferior oils, they run FINE, UNTIL THEY DON'T, AND USUALLY QUITE SUDDENLY. As redline used to say on website, (similar to) "at what temperature does YOUR oil change from a lube to a gummy varnish adhesive"

That is the problem w/ Inferior oils, they run FINE, UNTIL THEY DON'T, AND USUALLY QUITE SUDDENLY. As redline used to say on website, (similar to) "at what temperature does YOUR oil change from a lube to a gummy varnish adhesive"
No idea and I bet few on this site know that answer for theirs either. I used Jonsered oil, now DG and I have a 6 pack of Stihl Ultra picked up somewhere on sale when the DG is gone.
I should be clear, though. I don't run high dollar saws 5-6 days a week for a living. If I did I'd use better oil all the time.

No idea and I bet few on this site know that answer for theirs either. I used Jonsered oil, now DG and I have a 6 pack of Stihl Ultra picked up somewhere on sale when the DG is gone.
I should be clear, though. I don't run high dollar saws 5-6 days a week for a living. If I did I'd use better oil all the time.

That's the thing. Most of the guys on here are just in to saws. Make a living falling or building saws for those who are harvesting timber, etc.
The very few customers I have that make a living with a saw eventually just beat the hell out of them. Mostly doing cosmetic and dangerous tree removal, plus storm clean up. Usually with a crew who thinks no more of a saw than a shovel.
Oil related failures that you can put your finger on the oil versus an air leak or just straight gas are elusive.

HansFranz you are right, I could have spent some time searching through the forum before posting, that / it was naive of me and I could see how it comes across as you explained it.

I did read multiple owners manuals and got mixed messages. I did do an internet search but while reading and watching reviews, I felt as though I was getting mixed messages. That lead me to post asking the seasoned and knowledgeable people about this area on this site to see what the practical / best practiced information could also be.

I am in my 30s. I have 10 years of landscaping experience. During this time, I only used 2 stoke machines as a tool; I was never taught or stressed anything else. I would use it and put it away, if it broke, tell the boss.

I never owned or took care of 2 and 4 stroke machines until I became a property and homeowner that burns firewood and does tree work on the side.

I have 6 saws; 3 I inherited that are 20, 30, and 50+ years old. I have 3 that are new. I love doing tree work and running chainsaws! It is critical now for me (better late then never) to learn how to maintain them so I can keep using the saws that I have and LOVE. I will learn and review all the primary, secondary and supplemental information I can get to either validate, fact check, and learn from.

chilipeppermaniac Thank you for your direct support and consideration of my usership on this platform. It is very much appreciated!

HansFranz you are right, I could have spent some time searching through the forum before posting, that / it was naive of me and I could see how it comes across as you explained it.

I did read multiple owners manuals and got mixed messages. I did do an internet search but while reading and watching reviews, I felt as though I was getting mixed messages. That lead me to post asking the seasoned and knowledgeable people about this area on this site to see what the practical / best practiced information could also be.

I am in my 30s. I have 10 years of landscaping experience. During this time, I only used 2 stoke machines as a tool; I was never taught or stressed anything else. I would use it and put it away, if it broke, tell the boss.

I never owned or took care of 2 and 4 stroke machines until I became a property and homeowner that burns firewood and does tree work on the side.

I have 6 saws; 3 I inherited that are 20, 30, and 50+ years old. I have 3 that are new. I love doing tree work and running chainsaws! It is critical now for me (better late then never) to learn how to maintain them so I can keep using the saws that I have and LOVE. I will learn and review all the primary, secondary and supplemental information I can get to either validate, fact check, and learn from.

chilipeppermaniac Thank you for your direct support and consideration of my usership on this platform. It is very much appreciated!
Use a good synthetic 2 stroke oil at 40 to 1 and don't worry!

Thank you all for your patience and information on this post. The next time I post to this site, I will make sure to search the threads over before posting.

My takeaway is from this is:
- Amsoil saber or Echo Red Armor.
- Google search JASO FD rated oils.
- Look into oil burn temps.
- 40:1 mix seems to be a general consensus, with some saying 32, 70, 42, or 45:1 mix.
- Wood Doctor: Thank you for the image of the 40:1 measures.

The "formunda" and "Hawktouah" references gave me a chuckle. The memes are appreciated.

Thank you all for your patience and information on this post. The next time I post to this site, I will make sure to search the threads over before posting.

My takeaway is from this is:
- Amsoil saber or Echo Red Armor.
- Google search JASO FD rated oils.
- Look into oil burn temps.
- 40:1 mix seems to be a general consensus, with some saying 32, 70, 42, or 45:1 mix.
- Wood Doctor: Thank you for the image of the 40:1 measures.

The "formunda" and "Hawktouah" references gave me a chuckle. The memes are appreciated.
Thats it!

I don’t want to confuse you I don’t recommend it, but because we’re on the topic of oils. I tried 100:1 saber for the first time yesterday in an old leaf blower I was given as it got smashed up in a wreck. There was still an oil film and small puddle of oil in the crank case. Even the mixed colour is what I’d expect from a 50:1 oil lol.

Ignore the dirt that fell in on the transfers…

IMG_0315.jpegIMG_0377.jpeg

I don’t want to confuse you I don’t recommend it, but because we’re on the topic of oils. I tried 100:1 saber for the first time yesterday in an old leaf blower I was given as it got smashed up in a wreck. There was still an oil film and small puddle of oil in the crank case. Even the mixed colour is what I’d expect from a 50:1 oil lol.

Ignore the dirt that fell in on the transfers…

View attachment 1196151View attachment 1196152
That has actually been tested a couple times. They last about 6 hours of wide-open use with Saber at 300:1 before the cylinder scores from black carbon locking the ring in place. Red Armor and Dominator went 12+ hours and the units are still in use after being cleaned up

That has actually been tested a couple times. They last about 6 hours of wide-open use with Saber at 300:1 before the cylinder scores from black carbon locking the ring in place. Red Armor and Dominator went 12+ hours and the units are still in use after being cleaned up
You have the links you’re referring to?

Back