When do I get rid of these?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So you al saw wait for hardwoods.. does that mean that softwoods are ok to trim in the summer because their sap runs a little quicker to seal it up and keep disease out? I'll prob grab some of that oak sealer and jump on a ladder to paint it on.

Oaks in winter, all others- it is easier to explain when not too. The time you don't want to prune any tree is during bud break and leaf drop (spring and fall) trees are using their reserves during this time and u can easily stress the tree.

This topic can get real deep real quick. You need to get some edumacation on it. Best pruning standards and a book on Arboriculture will do ya wonders for a start. If you are going to be doing this stuff, it is important that you learn the way of the Jedi

Last edited:
Won't comment on the different opinions as to what type of saw to use, but the concerns about Oak Wilt and other diseases are valid. If given the choice, pruning should always wait until late fall/winter. All wounds, large or small can attract insects that spread Oak Wilt, so ALL wounds should be treated with a quality Tree Wound Dressing right away. Don't know about paint, but Treekote Tree Wound dressing has been PROVEN (Studies on Pruning Cuts and Wound Dressings for Oak Wilt Control, Arboriculture and Urban Forestry, Volume 33, Number 2, March 2007) to be effective at controlling the spread of Oak Wilt.

he was talking about paying for a pole pruner like he was going to get rich off trimming suckers off a few trees and said he charges 30/hr, and that is a one two three job... yes I know you need to have a minimum charge bla bla bla but if there were 20 of those trees on one property I'd charge like 300 bucks and be in and out in an hour and a half by myself on a saturday afternoon

I doubt you'd make your way to 20 trees spread out like that, prune the suckers, remove the dead wood from the canopies, and clean up the mess in 90 minutes.

$300 sounds like a low-ball bid for all the work that should be done.

Then you're suggesting $200 an hour for light pruning from the ground. A cup of coffee where you live must be like $7.50.

I worked for a small Landscape co after college. We were slammed for two months or so in the spring when dead for two or three as all the grass burned off. We decided to offer all the customers irrigation for the price of the parts. We worked for free installing it, except our 10% markup on parts. The following year there wasn't a slow month or even week for that matter. Think outside of the box. Silky all the way unless around wires then no way!

I've actually been tossing around that exact idea. Before this crazy drought, people around here (low SES town) would have laughed at me if I offered that service at full cost, and nobody would have cared enough for their lawn to have it done even at the cost, BUT I'm hoping the extreme burn that everyone is getting this year may make them look at it a little differently.

Then you're suggesting $200 an hour for light pruning from the ground. A cup of coffee where you live must be like $7.50.

200/hr light pruning from ground yep why not when I could go pocket 2g's doing a removal instead. ever heard of starbucks? darn close to 7.50 a cup :msp_ohmy:

this is the Chicago market I'm in we have a completely different price range from a lot of areas I work in a lot of old towns with a lot of money so the market instantly goes up when you cross the line. here are the real estate listings for one of the towns we do a lot of work in Oak Park Real Estate - Oak Park, IL Homes for Sale - Realtor.com® notice listing dont go under 500K until your 9 pages deep and property taxes are 15-30K

200/hr light pruning from ground yep why not when I could go pocket 2g's doing a removal instead. ever heard of starbucks? darn close to 7.50 a cup :msp_ohmy:

this is the Chicago market I'm in we have a completely different price range from a lot of areas I work in a lot of old towns with a lot of money so the market instantly goes up when you cross the line. here are the real estate listings for one of the towns we do a lot of work in Oak Park Real Estate - Oak Park, IL Homes for Sale - Realtor.com® notice listing dont go under 500K until your 9 pages deep and property taxes are 15-30K

:clap:Whoooooooooooooooooooo cares. You need to A: get your d*ck out of your hand when you're making your smart@$$ posts, and B: work on your math skills and reading comprehension because you're making yourself look like an idiot rather than me. Good luck to you.

Thank you to everyone else. I am going to order The Fundamentals of General Tree Work from Bailey's here in a minute, I hear that Baranek guy is the man. I do have some pruning sealer in a spray can- best of both worlds

:clap:Whoooooooooooooooooooo cares. You need to A: get your d*ck out of your hand when you're making your smart@$$ posts, and B: work on your math skills and reading comprehension because you're making yourself look like an idiot rather than me. Good luck to you.

Easy now

Thank you to everyone else. I am going to order The Fundamentals of General Tree Work from Bailey's here in a minute, I hear that Baranek guy is the man. I do have some pruning sealer in a spray can- best of both worlds

first of all why are your granny panties getting all bunched up? I was responding to carb... not you
what math? carbie said 200/hr for trimming like it was high so yea instead of working for 30-100/hr I could go POCKET 2K in a day(after expenses) not having to lift a finger while I supervise! or even better I let my guys do the removal while I go cut the suckers off and I'll kill two birds with one stone.

have a nice day, don't over work your mower in this heat:msp_unsure:

I could go POCKET 2K in a day(after expenses) not having to lift a finger while I supervise! or even better I let my guys do the removal while I go cut the suckers off and I'll kill two birds with one stone.

You're an inspiration to us all. I'moana start chargin $250 a half, and make the customer help with the clean up.

sorry I forgot this is 101 the big money is over in commercial:msp_rolleyes: if a tree is a $3K tree its a $3K tree and if it only costs me 1K to get the job done then so be it. if all of the bigger co's would charge that much well so am I in a lot of cases I don't get work because I am priced about the same as the big boyz but a lot of times I get the work because they don't want to wait 1-3 months to have the work done

sorry I forgot this is 101 the big money is over in commercial:msp_rolleyes: if a tree is a $3K tree its a $3K tree and if it only costs me 1K to get the job done then so be it. if all of the bigger co's would charge that much well so am I in a lot of cases I don't get work because I am priced about the same as the big boyz but a lot of times I get the work because they don't want to wait 1-3 months to have the work done

I'd rather charge $750 for that tree, and pay $3.50 for a double espresso, as opposed to paying $16.00 like you guys in Chi town do.

When it's all said and done you're not any better off making four times what I do if you have to pay out 5 times what I do for the things you buy.

Last edited:
wow. I don't take it back, but I do apologize. Guess I was a little cranky last time I was on here.. I did't really get into reading much of what has been posted but I do know that I feel like I would rather feed a starving child in africa for a month with 14.50 and spend 50 cents at home making my own thermos full of coffee that may or may not taste gourmet than buy a 15.00 coffee, let alone a 3.50 coffee haha.

Latest posts

Back