When do you change intake boot and pulse line?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crofter

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
260 Stihl. What would be a rule of thumb on how long before these rubber items would be getting crack prone? I don't like to wait for failure as you may have already done damage to the innards before you realize it.

Frank

Hi Frank ! the only way i know how to answer your question is wait till they go bad , you will know when the intake boot goes cause the saw will run real funky, if at all and carb adjustment will have little affect. I have an old 028 i bought new in 1980 and have never replaced any hoses yet and it still runs great !

The boot dose not fail from dry rot, usually from bad buffers. The fuel and pulse hose dry rot from old fuel. My rule of thumb, check the fuel hose for cracks. If there are some, check pulse hose also. About 75% will need both. You will definitly have a starting or performance problem if the cracks are deep.

Thanx fellas

Just getting this 260 broken in. First new saw in years and this new high revvin stuff is an experience!. First saw I used was an old PM Woodboss with a hand clutch; think it weighed about 35 pounds but that may be exaggerating a bit. Big changes yet still the same old problems of lean runs either because of faulty carb adjustments or air leaks and grit. Sure enjoying this forum; think one or possibly two of the regular posters not above pulling the leg of a greenhorn on occasion though!:D

Frank

boots

What do you call often? Hoses, about 3 to 4 years on some. Intake boots, lifetime on most, not long if they pull a buffer apart. It is like any saw, abuse it and fix it more.

All rubber goes bad in time, but flexingcan contribute immensely. Most anti-vib saws have the carb on the isolated side of the dampening of the shock system and the fuel input and output services (tank and chamber) on the motor side of the worx. So flexible connection, is necessary for their connection; bad/worn shox can overflex the line feed or boot delivery connections, causing them to fail.

A bad boot that is sucking straight air in after the fuel is mixed can deliver mix with to much air and burn up a saw quick!

Back