Which is the correct Stihl raker gauge for 3/8 .050 RS chain ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsrsol84mm

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Looking for the correct Stihl Raker gauge for 3/8 .050 RS Stihl chain.
Usually use the 2 in 1 sharpener which knocks down the rakers as well and works very well but need to work on a couple of Stihl RSF skip chains.

Different stihl gauges are only marked 0.45 or 0.65

Would the Husky depth gauge tool 505 69 81 0P for 3/8 work just as well ?

Would appreciate the help, thank you

The 0.45mm Stihl depth gauge is for the mini or picco 1/4 inch pitch class 71 chain. Kind of amazing when I asked the same question the guy wearing Stihl clothing did not know which one was for what. 0.025" is 0.635mm. Which is likely too many decimal places for the application so .65mm

There is usually a paper insert in a box or package of Stihl chain that will most likely have a "correct" depth gauge tool specified.

It's not rocket science.
Doesn't have to be exact, but nice if it is consistent around the loop of chain. What I do is drop the file across from one cutter to another, and eyeball the clearance from raker to the file... a more powerful saw could handle a little more depth.
this is close enough

that one from Amazon would work nicely.

Looking for the correct Stihl Raker gauge for 3/8 .050 RS Stihl chain.
Usually us eteh 2 in 1 sharpener which knocks down the rakers as well and works very well but need to work on a couple of Stihl RSF skip chains.

Different stihl gauges are only marked 0.45 or 0.65

Would the Husky depth gauge tool 505 69 81 0P for 3/8 work just as well ?

Would appreciate the help, thank you
I can picture that maybe the 2n1 does NOT work for skip chain, as nothing for guides to ride on? I agree on 0.025, and you can buy them anywhere, TSC, WM, hardware. Those 0.045/0/065 (unless that is mm???)...hmmm 0.65mm= 0.0255 inches

Back