White oak help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint Eatswood

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a large white oak that I left when we cleared our lot when we built our house. It has a big natural lean and I've noticed the past couple years the bugs have been getting at it base. I've not noticed any additional lean or root bulge so I don't think the tree is leaning any farther, but with the lean and the weakening of the base I'm concerned about the threat of it falling into my house. Without measuring I'm guessing the trunk is 30"+/- and the rot is 4" deep or so plus critter boring. See pics.

Need advice on what to do or does the tree need to come down? Can provide additional pics if necessary.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20240915_154317.jpg
    20240915_154317.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240915_161244.jpg
    20240915_161244.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 0
I have a large white oak that I left when we cleared our lot when we built our house. It has a big natural lean and I've noticed the past couple years the bugs have been getting at it base. I've not noticed any additional lean or root bulge so I don't think the tree is leaning any farther, but with the lean and the weakening of the base I'm concerned about the threat of it falling into my house. Without measuring I'm guessing the trunk is 30"+/- and the rot is 4" deep or so plus critter boring. See pics.

Need advice on what to do or does the tree need to come down? Can provide additional pics if necessary.

Thanks in advance.

I would be worried about compromised wood and roots, with the possibility of the tree uprooting. Oaks do like to die standing, at least over here.

Not an oak, but a recent example of compromised wood and roots on a madrone.

20240822_105541.jpg
Note the cavities in the stump.and how deep they run into the ground with nothing but open air/space, NOT wood.

20240822_105528.jpg20240822_105458.jpg

I had to take an axe to the trunk where there were signs of damage to reveal the extent. It was most of the way through the tree until ~5' up. The face cut was placed 8-8.5' high to maximize sound wood and prevent the tree from both barber-chairing and uprooting.

I think most of us would take that tree down. Not that it has absolutely to be done today ... but sometime between today and tomorrow... It is just not happy / healthy and not going to get better... And it is no somewhere waay out in the woods, it's in your lawn, next to your house...

Weed barrier under the mulch
It looks to me like something has seriously girdled the tree, especially on the leaning side.
If you're going to take the tree down anyway, I'd be curious to see what the base of the tree looks like under all that mulch.
That stone rim looks to be about 12" tall and there are no root flares visible.
The insects, rot, and disease are symptoms, of the underlying (literally) cause.

If it were me, I would remove the rocks and mulch and see what's going on at the base of the tree trunk.

** I'm not an certified arborist, just a homeowner who has learned a few things from the pros here. :)

I think most of us would take that tree down. Not that it has absolutely to be done today ... but sometime between today and tomorrow... It is just not happy / healthy and not going to get better... And it is no somewhere waay out in the woods, it's in your lawn, next to your house...
I think I have myself convinced of that as well. The problem is I'm almost sure the tree is taller than the distance to my house. At least close enough that I'm not comfortable dropping it myself.

Anybody have a good way of estimating tree height?

It looks to me like something has seriously girdled the tree, especially on the leaning side.
If you're going to take the tree down anyway, I'd be curious to see what the base of the tree looks like under all that mulch.
That stone rim looks to be about 12" tall and there are no root flares visible.
The insects, rot, and disease are symptoms, of the underlying (literally) cause.

If it were me, I would remove the rocks and mulch and see what's going on at the base of the tree trunk.

** I'm not an certified arborist, just a homeowner who has learned a few things from the pros here. :)
The mulch line is very close to original ground level. Was purposely kept that way so as not to cause any damage to the tree.

I think I have myself convinced of that as well. The problem is I'm almost sure the tree is taller than the distance to my house. At least close enough that I'm not comfortable dropping it myself.

Anybody have a good way of estimating tree height?
Yes.

• Yardstick
    Mark a spot 4 ft up from the base of the tree, then hold a yardstick straight up and down. Back up until the 4 ft section on the tree is exactly 1 in on the yardstick. Note the number of inches the tree height occupies, then multiply by four to get the total height.

• Smartphone
      You can use a smartphone with a spirit level app to measure tree height. You'll need to calibrate the app by zeroing it on a level surface, and you'll also need to calibrate your pacing. You can measure the distance from the ground to your eye, and then measure the distance from you to the tree.

• Rely on your eyes
      You can bend forward and look through your legs until you can just see the top of the tree. Mark the spot on the ground, then measure the distance from the tree to that point. This is roughly the height of the tree

my suggestion.jpg

If that is the house on the right I don't believe it would reach the porch. If correct then the tree falling doesn't seem to present any targets.

If you want to try to preserve the tree I'd suggest:

Remove the stones and make the mulch area three times as wide. I believe that would be eight times the surface area that is now mulched.

Reduce the weight on the one side of the crown and make the cuts I suggest marked by the white lines. My marks aren't exact as that decision needs to be made by the arborist making the cuts. Some arborist are not real familiar with 'crown reduction'. Dito for the dead wood marked.

A lift towed behind a pickup truck may reach and do little yard compaction.

A self propelled lift would be even better.

To save money mention that you will do all clean up and raking and that divots made in the lawn you will take care of yourself, so let it fly. It's your responsibility to see there are no water lines, etc., in the drop zone. If there are, mark them as well as possible.

Make sure that this tree never sees drought.

Maybe lighten up the leaning side again in a few years.

I wouldn't make a playground under it.

Who knows how long it will stand. Maybe decades more of adding character to the landscape are left in your white oak. My favorite tree.

View attachment 1205167

If that is the house on the right I don't believe it would reach the porch. If correct then the tree falling doesn't seem to present any targets.

If you want to try to preserve the tree I'd suggest:

Remove the stones and make the mulch area three times as wide. I believe that would be eight times the surface area that is now mulched.

Reduce the weight on the one side of the crown and make the cuts I suggest marked by the white lines. My marks aren't exact as that decision needs to be made by the arborist making the cuts. Some arborist are not real familiar with 'crown reduction'. Dito for the dead wood marked.

A lift towed behind a pickup truck may reach and do little yard compaction.

A self propelled lift would be even better.

To save money mention that you will do all clean up and raking and that divots made in the lawn you will take care of yourself, so let it fly. It's your responsibility to see there are no water lines, etc., in the drop zone. If there are, mark them as well as possible.

Make sure that this tree never sees drought.

Maybe lighten up the leaning side again in a few years.

I wouldn't make a playground under it.

Who knows how long it will stand. Maybe decades more of adding character to the landscape are left in your white oak. My favorite tree.
Yes, that's the house. I believe I'm leaning (pun intended) on removal. I've reached out to a tree service to get a quote to drop it and grind the stump. I'll handle everything else from there. I hate to lose a big old white oak, but I have 10 more in the yard to keep the critters happy.

Thanks for the replies everybody.

Yes, that's the house. I believe I'm leaning (pun intended) on removal. I've reached out to a tree service to get a quote to drop it and grind the stump. I'll handle everything else from there. I hate to lose a big old white oak, but I have 10 more in the yard to keep the critters happy.

Thanks for the replies everybody.

We looks at yards differently. I see a yard that could use at least half a dozen more trees. Trees started from seed(acorns) are cheap and easy.

Plus I like the character of trees that are a little out of the norm.

I bet your leaning oak has been a subject of discussion by others other than you.

I like trees like that.

If it does seriously pose a threat to people and property, then I'd agree it should go.

We looks at yards differently. I see a yard that could use at least half a dozen more trees. Trees started from seed(acorns) are cheap and easy.

Plus I like the character of trees that are a little out of the norm.

I bet your leaning oak has been a subject of discussion by others other than you.

I like trees like that.

If it does seriously pose a threat to people and property, then I'd agree it should go.
I'd say the main thing, knowing there are other oaks nearby, would be to rule out disease/infection let in by the wounds and moisture. If there is spreadable disease, it'd be better to remove it in favor of the others.

If no disease and no real damage to people, yea, leave it. The hawks and eagles, if any, will love it.

I'd say the main thing, knowing there are other oaks nearby, would be to rule out disease/infection let in by the wounds and moisture. If there is spreadable disease, it'd be better to remove it in favor of the others.

If no disease and no real damage to people, yea, leave it. The hawks and eagles, if any, will love it.
Just had a tree service with eyes on. He agrees it needs to go. Dropping it tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back