White Oak Tree Borer Is it to late?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCleaner69

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a white oak & just noticed it has damage. Is there anything that can be done or does it need to be cut down? The tree still blooms & has been growing new little branches but I'm concerned since it over 100ft tall & can reach my house.

Attachments

• DSC00640.JPG
    DSC00640.JPG
    8.4 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC00641.JPG
    DSC00641.JPG
    7.6 MB · Views: 0
I came across one of those. Also white oak. Suckers popping out all around it. Green leaves on them… some of the branches healthy with nice new growth etc but enough of the tree was dead inside that it came down on its own. This is how the story ended…

1727136057212.png

So despite the healthy parts given how low on the trunk that damage is from what I’m seeing there is no saving it. At some point that tree is coming down all on its own.

If it’s close to anything you don’t want destroyed you might consider getting in front of that, you know?

Good luck, fella. White oak is some gnarly stuff…

I have a white oak & just noticed it has damage. Is there anything that can be done or does it need to be cut down? The tree still blooms & has been growing new little branches but I'm concerned since it over 100ft tall & can reach my house.
If it were in my yard within striking distance of my house, I would have a professional take it down.
And I'm a treehugger.

If it were in my yard within striking distance of my house, I would have a professional take it down.
And I'm a treehugger.
Yep… and when that one goes it will probably break off at the stump NOT pulling the whole root lamp out with it… which if you can avoid that problem it’s worth avoiding. But it doesn’t appear to be a risk for you so… if it’s not posing a danger to anything (including other trees) then hug away and enjoy it as long as you can.

But the white oak in my picture took 3 other trees out when it fell… so it’s good there are no houses or sheds or whatnot within striking distance but since you love trees (I love trees too) maybe assess the risk it poses to other trees around it, if any, when it finally reaches its last days. Just something to consider. Of course I have no idea if there are other trees near it…

Best

Woody

I came across one of those. Also white oak. Suckers popping out all around it. Green leaves on them… some of the branches healthy with nice new growth etc but enough of the tree was dead inside that it came down on its own. This is how the story ended…

View attachment 1206776

So despite the healthy parts given how low on the trunk that damage is from what I’m seeing there is no saving it. At some point that tree is coming down all on its own.

If it’s close to anything you don’t want destroyed you might consider getting in front of that, you know?

Good luck, fella. White oak is some gnarly stuff…

Sad to say but that one needs to be taken down as soon as possible....I had a huge ash tree 30 meters from the house, bore beatles, thought I had some time till I went out one windy day and saw it rockin back and forth, shallow roots rising up out of the ground... I scrambled like rodeo clown to get ropes and to cutting on that one...Don't wait till its too late. Your in PA, ice will be arriving soon and at 100ft plus canopy, it likely won't stand through the winter..

Sad to say but that one needs to be taken down as soon as possible....I had an a huge ash tree 30 meters from the house, bore beatles, thought I had some time till I went out one windy day and saw it rockin back and forth, shallow roots rising up out of the ground... I scrambled like rodeo clown to get ropes and to cutting on that one...Don't wait till its too late. Your in PA, ice will be arriving soon and at 100ft plus canopy, it likely won't stand through the winteI know you're

I know you're right. I messaged my neighbor this evening because I didn't know where the property line is. He said he is going to take it down & I'm more then willing to pitch in. I forwarded this thread to him. I'm not sure if he'll register. I know last year we seen something on the tree mowing the grass but neither of us thought much of it. Today I happen to be down by the tree & seen more damage. As I dug the rotten parts out I seen one 1-1/2 larva. That was on the small hole. Many ants & pincher bugs to on the big hole.

I know you're right. I messaged my neighbor this evening because I didn't know where the property line is. He said he is going to take it down & I'm more then willing to pitch in. I forwarded this thread to him. I'm not sure if he'll register. I know last year we seen something on the tree mowing the grass but neither of us thought much of it. Today I happen to be down by the tree & seen more damage. As I dug the rotten parts out I seen one 1-1/2 larva. That was on the small hole. Many ants & pincher bugs to on the big hole.
Pictures of the takedown would be great to see if you think of it. 👍

Sad to say but that one needs to be taken down as soon as possible....I had a huge ash tree 30 meters from the house, bore beatles, thought I had some time till I went out one windy day and saw it rockin back and forth, shallow roots rising up out of the ground... I scrambled like rodeo clown to get ropes and to cutting on that one...Don't wait till its too late. Your in PA, ice will be arriving soon and at 100ft plus canopy, it likely won't stand through the winter..
+1. I mean… felling it now is *so* much easier than dealing with the roots popping out of the ground 🤣

You think a *stump* is trouble? You can’t saw through that dirt-bound root bulb without just destroying chains… they’ll even kill carbide chains. And that’s not including the risk to the neighbors pool etc. Even the nicest neighbor is gonna get upset and you don’t want to have to deal with insurance companies fighting about whose fault it is for blowing over and heaven forbid if they get lawyers involved…

So… excellent question to bring to the forum. You got a solid answer.

If you’re 100% sure it’s NOT on your property you might consider getting it in writing (even a text) from your neighbor that he’s going to cut it down etc. Because he might drag his feet and if it blows down first and hits his pool and whatever else you *don’t* want him or his insurance company trying to make it your fault.

Good luck, fella!!

Latest posts

Back