Will a chainsaw run without the Exhaust/Muffler?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it an aftermarket coil? Is it exactly the same as the original? A lot of people set the air gap with a business card.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
OEM coil, didn't know I had the option to change the spacing, will definitely have to have a look at that

OEM coil, didn't know I had the option to change the spacing, will definitely have to have a look at that
Yes, the mounting holes allow a little movement. Loosen them and put a business card between the coil and the flywheel magnet, push the coil up to it and tighten the screws, you can set it with feeler gauges but I can't remember the distance, a business card works well.

Yes, the mounting holes allow a little movement. Loosen them and put a business card between the coil and the flywheel magnet, push the coil up to it and tighten the screws, you can set it with feeler gauges but I can't remember the distance, a business card works well.

This is becoming irritating now, the distance was about that of a business card with just a hint of friction. It has fuel, even when I force it into the cylinder, its definitely sparking and I assume definitely has compression. I'm at a loss. Doesnt even think of trying to fire, not a hint

This is becoming irritating now, the distance was about that of a business card with just a hint of friction. It has fuel, even when I force it into the cylinder, its definitely sparking and I assume definitely has compression. I'm at a loss. Doesnt even think of trying to fire, not a hint
I'm just an amateur, I don't know what to tell you. If it has fuel, air and spark just before top dead center, it should fire.

I'm just an amateur, I don't know what to tell you. If it has fuel, air and spark just before top dead center, it should fire.

No sorry, I wasn't expressing frustration towards you, just the chainsaw. I've had so many suggestions and it isnt even thinking of firing. I appreciate everyone's help on here, this saw is just relentless

No sorry, I wasn't expressing frustration towards you, just the chainsaw. I've had so many suggestions and it isnt even thinking of firing. I appreciate everyone's help on here, this saw is just relentless
I didn't take it as frustration towards me. I was just saying I've suggested all I know. I've learned all I know from personal experience and these forums. Somebody will give you the information you need, sometimes you just have to be patient and sometimes if you take a break from it, ideas will pop in your head and you will figure it out. Just curious, how are you checking for spark?

I didn't take it as frustration towards me. I was just saying I've suggested all I know. I've learned all I know from personal experience and these forums. Somebody will give you the information you need, sometimes you just have to be patient and sometimes if you take a break from it, ideas will pop in your head and you will figure it out. Just curious, how are you checking for spark?

Hold the plug against the cylinder and pull, can very very easily see a lot of sparking so it's definitely not short of ignition

I'm in the process of rebuilding a husky 45, has a new piston, carb rebuild, ignition coil, but still won't start. Will the lack of exhaust be causing it not to start? I've got compression, I've got a spark and The carb definitely smells like fuel, so this is all I can think of

New piston, carb rebuild and coil, what was the reason you did this work? Was it a running saw or dead for a reason that is carried foward to now.
Carb rebuilt properly with impulse hose connected?
Vacume or pressure leaks?
You should do a proper compression test to see how the piston and rings are sealing.
When you can confirm your repairs you can move forward with other possibilities.

To further add...

Have you verified the choke butterfly works.
The H and L jets are at factory settings.
Why no muffler? Some motors like to see some back pressure, not sure if needed with your motor.
Piston installed correctly in the right direction.
Tried old coil for elimination.
Proper sparkplug, gapped correctly.
Do you have a decompression valve, if so not stuck open.
Check timing to see if flywheel key is not sheared.

List can go on and on......

It should be flooded if you squirted mix down the plug or carb, hold it wide open and pull a lot, most times 10 to 15 pulls to get it to run. Also the carb could be dumping if fuel keeping it flooded, try unhooking the fuel line and plugging it then hold wide open and try starting. If not flooded how much mix did you put down the carb, it takes more than 2 drops, about a teaspoon or so works good. Steve

Latest posts

Back