Wind chill factor!!!!!! STOOPID

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today's Stupid Computer Trick:

If you have a regular keyboard, hold down the ALT key while you type 0186 on the numeric keypad (make sure "num lock" is on so you're getting the numbers and not special commands on those keys).

That makes the º symbol

Thanks for sharing, 30 years at a keyboard and havent needed it till recently.

Today's Stupid Computer Trick:

If you have a regular keyboard, hold down the ALT key while you type 0186 on the numeric keypad (make sure "num lock" is on so you're getting the numbers and not special commands on those keys).

That makes the º symbol

Actually, I like alt 0176 better. Here is yours beside mine º° <G>

Last edited:
They get paid to look good

If that's the case, I've seen a few of them that need to start earning their paycheck! :jawdrop:

:D

Nice explanation of how windchill works, drawing the heat away from a warm object faster.

Yes, very well done.

If you read it and didn't agree, read it again.

Repeat as needed until you get it.

HERE is a resource for alt key numeric codes....

On your laptop you'll need...Num LK / Fn / Alt...mileage may vary in different OS and/or manufacturers...this would be the numeric keypad embedded in qwerty...not the numbers on top of qwerty...but you knew that.

Last edited:
I might add this is good to know...or at least have a reference to...

You are able to create, say, a bullet list or something similar in something as simple as notepad.

For you new Vista users that are saddled with the "read only" version of Word...this is quite handy.

Last edited:
I'd think here in Minnesota most people would would understand wind chill (and now the summer 'heat index') but it's amazing even some newscasters are totally clueless.

Wind chill measures the RATE of heat loss, not the actual final temperature. i.e. standing outside in still air, the body or car or house would lose a certain number of BTU in a certain time. Pick some (all fictitious) numbers: 100 btu in 60 seconds at 30 degrees F. The same temperature, with 30 mph wind, the object may lose 150 btu in the same 60 seconds. Wind chill is the temperature that it would lose the same 100 btu in 60 seconds. Maybe at say 10F and still air it would lose 100 btu/60 seconds. Voila, 30F, 30 wind, is called 10F wind chill.

However, the FINAL temperature is still 30F. The object simply cools down much faster, then tapers out to 30F. Unless there is evaporative cooling or something else, final is 30F, whether acheived in minutes or hours. A car does NOT start harder at deep windchills, it just gets cooled down faster. However, it sure seems that way, when I am out there trying to get things going.

Wind chill is very helpful to know how to dress, what to do with livestock, and generally how nasty it will be for living critters have to live or work outside.

speaking of which, right now sunday morning is 30F and light mist here. By tonight, expecting -5, snow, freezing rain, wind, and -30F windchills. Love to be outside, but very thainkful for an office job right now.

k

:clap: I agree with you there being a fellow Minnesotian :clap:

I wasn't but I will. Bassman ... give your head a shake. If I'm reading you right your telling me windchill isn't true. :spam: :spam: :spam:

Well let me tell you this - I've flown into Whitehorse or Yellowknife and loaded patients onto our plane in - 58 C and not been significantly cold but I've also stood in southern Sask. in -20 C with a wind at 80 km/hr and TRUST me that is WAY colder FEELING than -58. Note I said FEELING not ACTUAL temperature.

Man if I'm reading you wrong then my most humblest apology but if not then there is no hope for you buddy.:buttkick:

It's all relative....

I was out blowing snow on Sunday...pretty much all day.

Frostbite on both cheeks and froze two fingers. Probably get the feeling back in a couple of days.

Went out today, more frosbite on the face and fingers again...

Been done many times and will be done again...

I agree it is true and a good way to know how to dress for the cold if you are not sure.

BUT some people now think that the wind chill temp is the actual tem and try to compare minus 15c to minus34c .

or look at it like this !!

baby has a temp of 104 but its warm in the house so baby is ok..

stranded in a car at minus 10 and windy or calm and minus 42 and calm..

a thermometer will tell you the temp no matter what the wind speed is amd windchill has to be calculated so saying it is minus 38 outside with the windchill is ok but it is not minus 38 it is only minus 15 but feels like minus 38.

:dizzy: :dizzy:

Latest posts

Back