wood dust in the carb hard on the saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I work for a Platinum Stihl dealer and all I do is work on Stihl. When I catch it up I go home. I'm too dumb to work the floor or the counter.
If you want to make money by far the best way is part them out on eBay.
Matter of fact Hermio should have sold it on eBay as being low compression.
He would have gotten a hell of a lot more than $150.
Probably right.

I think I bought it in May or June; definitely not at year end. Though I will never know for sure, my suspicion was that the dealer looked up the wrong price; maybe wrong model or powerhead only? Who knows? In any case, I was not about to ask the dealer to re-check the price! I am not a great customer of the dealer, as their repair costs are very high; somewhere around $185/hour; maybe higher.
yeah that’s a question nobody knows the answer to… my guess (admittedly just a guess) is that his fiscal year end was the end of Q2 (common for vendors who stock up for the holidays and have more predictable sales in the summertime.

IF IF IF that is true that’s why he sold you that saw at his cost… or even below cost.

Everybody knew about the new 500is—the first fully fuel injected saw Stihl made. There’s no way in the world he didn’t know how expensive it should have been. And the price of your repair estimate and the price for a new saw being approximately the same… one would have to be very very sentimental about their old saw OR be very skeptical about the new fuel injection to say no to that deal.

Again, this is just Occam’s razor…

Dealer got to move inventory.

Tech (or dealer—who knows what side deal they might have) made a bunch of money on your used saw…

You got a smoking good deal on a brand new 500is

So… (shrug) nobody died, right?

What I can tell you is that however hot the exterior is, it is not hot enough to either vaporize the gunk around the spark plus or burn it up. It was still tacky when I brushed most of it off with a paintbrush on the 441C, and I checked my MS500i, and it also has tacky junk around the spark plug. I don't expect to change that plug for years, but when I do, I will use compressed air first.

Okay then- can you explain to me how this sticky mixture of sawdust and bar oil ends up getting all the way up there, waiting to pounce into an open orifice?

Okay then- can you explain to me how this sticky mixture of sawdust and bar oil ends up getting all the way up there, waiting to pounce into an open orifice?
All the way up there? It gets everywhere there is not a clean, smooth surface that is easy to wipe off. And the plug's proximity to the air filter means there is suction in the area, encouraging some of the sawdust to migrate there. Anyway, I don't have to explain it; I saw the gunk with my own eyes, regardless of how it got there. My mistake was not cleaning it with a compressed air blast.

All the way up there? It gets everywhere there is not a clean, smooth surface that is easy to wipe off. And the plug's proximity to the air filter means there is suction in the area, encouraging some of the sawdust to migrate there. Anyway, I don't have to explain it; I saw the gunk with my own eyes, regardless of how it got there. My mistake was not cleaning it with a compressed air blast.
Yeah if you wiped that gunk off with a cloth then probably you dumped it in the spark plug hole.

That’s why every time I take my intake off I stuff a rag in there. If my spark plug hole is going to be exposed for more than 20 seconds I shove one of those blue paper shop towels in there for the same reason.

But dude you sound like a reasonably smart guy… would you really wipe that gunk right into your open spark plug hole?

I mean we’ve all done dumb stuff by accident. I once broke an aluminum TDC finder rod in the spark plug hole of a blown Chevy 454 and damn I sure felt dumb… had to pull the head off to get it out… (head shaking)

The one and only time I used an aftermarket doohickey to find TDC. Before and after that I went straight back to relying on flywheel marks and wooden pencils to verify TDC on anything that had a cylinder… 🤣

Or the dog ate your homework.

Normal Ingestion through the intake is not a huge ordeal when proper fuel/oil mix is used, older saws ran metal mesh filters and 25 or 32-1 and experienced little to no engine wear. Sawdust getting under carb covers between the diaphragms and cover reducing movement are a real issue. sawdust and dirt passing through a fuel filter or torn or not fully sealed fuel or impulse hose or clogging the fuel filter is a real issue. They lead to fuel delivery reductions and unfiltered and un burnt trash getting into the bottom end that gets pulled between the cylinder and piston causing scoring.

Yeah if you wiped that gunk off with a cloth then probably you dumped it in the spark plug hole.

That’s why every time I take my intake off I stuff a rag in there. If my spark plug hole is going to be exposed for more than 20 seconds I shove one of those blue paper shop towels in there for the same reason.

But dude you sound like a reasonably smart guy… would you really wipe that gunk right into your open spark plug hole?

I mean we’ve all done dumb stuff by accident. I once broke an aluminum TDC finder rod in the spark plug hole of a blown Chevy 454 and damn I sure felt dumb… had to pull the head off to get it out… (head shaking)

The one and only time I used an aftermarket doohickey to find TDC. Before and after that I went straight back to relying on flywheel marks and wooden pencils to verify TDC on anything that had a cylinder… 🤣
The wiping was done before removing the spark plug, using a brush. But when I removed the spark plug, I saw some of the gunk fall in, apparently shielded from my brush by the spark plug shape. As you say, all of us have done stupid things at one time or another. But I think I learned from my mistake. I felt bad about it at the time but now I have a 500i, so my sorrow did not last too long! :)

Why do you keep implying I am lying? Even if I were a habitual liar, what would I gain from admitting I did a stupid thing?
You absolutely did lie about the 441. You originally said you wore it out. Now we actually find out that it seized.
I would wager you have never wore out a chainsaw in your life. In addition your old azz isn't going to either.

Why do you keep implying I am lying? Even if I were a habitual liar, what would I gain from admitting I did a stupid thing?
You are not lying, you just got duped by a service centre telling you a tiny amount of wood chip, oil and general filth took out your saw.
They came out on the winning side right and proper.

You are not lying, you just got duped by a service centre telling you a tiny amount of wood chip, oil and general filth took out your saw.
They came out on the winning side right and proper.

Yeah, a lot of these guys work on saws all the time if not every day. If they tell you something just trust it.
Like some sawdust, or whatever gunk, around your plug did not ruin your saw.

You absolutely did lie about the 441. You originally said you wore it out. Now we actually find out that it seized.
I would wager you have never wore out a chainsaw in your life. In addition your old azz isn't going to either.
Never said it seized. It didn't. It wore out due to scoring of the cylinder shortly after I changed the sparkplug. You need to go back to elementary school to work on your reading comprehension as well as your writing skills.

Still going with that?
You are the genius that thinks a little wood dust scored his saw..
Still going with that because you are still wrong and always will be. And, unlike you, I have never wished you dead. Don't try to deny it; it is still in the minds of many on this forum who read it.

Still going with that because you are still wrong and always will be. And, unlike you, I have never wished you dead. Don't try to deny it; it is still in the minds of many on this forum who read it.
I am absolutely not wrong with in the bounds of a hydrodynamic regime.
Still whining about that, tatle tail? And it was hit by a truck. You are the emotional weasel that added the dead part.

Never said it seized. It didn't. It wore out due to scoring of the cylinder shortly after I changed the sparkplug. You need to go back to elementary school to work on your reading comprehension as well as your writing skills.
Same differance you lieing POS. Now your trying to spin it by saying scoring is the same thing as wearing something out. It's not.

I am absolutely not wrong with in the bounds of a hydrodynamic regime.
Still whining about that, tatle tail? And it was hit by a truck. You are the emotional weasel that added the dead part.
So you merely wished me to get hit by a truck but somehow survive it? No one will believe that. You are simply a liar and an evil human being.

Back