Work Boots

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fried Chicken

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
If I told y'all what I wear on my feet while chainsawing, I feel I'd run the risk of exploding the forum.

As it is I destroy shoes on a regular basis, I want to try the "buy once cry once" approach to shoes for irregular hard use.

I've seen the Thorogood American Heritage 6 recommended. I've also heard rumors that the shoe industry does this weird thing where they cycle the high quality shoes around: there are fixed manufacturers and the various shoe companies build a reputation with quality, then ride that reputation with low quality, rinse and repeat. Idk if any of that is true, I'm not into shoes.

Kindly looking for recommendations

I don’t like heavy shoes. Water resistant hiking shoes is what I prefer.
Merrel is nice but not cheap. I have a cheap pair of hi techs I bought from
Amazon right now. They have a hole in the side so I’ll be shopping soon.
You can buy made in usa boots. They’ll be leather, heavy and expensive.
I had a pair of ugly double h boots for longer than I wanted at one point.
They just kept going..

I don’t like heavy shoes. Water resistant hiking shoes is what I prefer.
Merrel is nice but not cheap. I have a cheap pair of hi techs I bought from
Amazon right now. They have a hole in the side so I’ll be shopping soon.
You can buy made in usa boots. They’ll be leather, heavy and expensive.
I had a pair of ugly double h boots for longer than I wanted at one point.
They just kept going..
Good point on lightweight; That's what I prefer. Helps with awareness which prevents accidents in the first place.

See the cheap pair already broken.... I'll check out Merrel

What is your use, exactly? I have a pair of Danner Quarry boots that have been very tough. They have lasted several years now and still have a lot of life left. Not made in the US, maybe a little heavy. In also have Merrels. My only complaint is they run narrow.

Any jobs around the house. Firewooding, climbing the roof, yard work, hiking, etc.
I know you said boots, but since hiking and Merrell was mentioned ... my Merrell Moabs have been my staple for all around outdoor use. The first pair I got close to 1,000+ miles of walking/hiking/general use out them before the upper separated from the sole. The second pair that I have now probably ain't gonna make it that far, but they were purchased off eBay, and I am suspecting that they were "seconds" based on the uneven material cut on shoe. If I were gonna be working in them, I'd get the model with less mesh and more leather. I hiked some pretty sketchy trails in my Moabs and am still here. I also have a pair a Keen mid composite toe that I use on job for landscaping. One year in they have been great, but they are not my everyday shoe. Also, I am not holding my breathe that the tread doesn't eventually separate. Apparently some people have had that problem with the Keens. If I was going up on a roof, I would be in one of these two, and leave my other boots in the closet.

Merrill's do not fit my feet for some reason. Both wife and I switched to Keen. Most comfortable boots I've ever worn. Although they have steel and composite toe work boots I just have their hiking boots. If I'm not just cutting a few branches but have down tree's or something I have some steel toed boots.

I know you said boots, but since hiking and Merrell was mentioned ... my Merrell Moabs have been my staple for all around outdoor use. The first pair I got close to 1,000+ miles of walking/hiking/general use out them before the upper separated from the sole. The second pair that I have now probably ain't gonna make it that far, but they were purchased off eBay, and I am suspecting that they were "seconds" based on the uneven material cut on shoe. If I were gonna be working in them, I'd get the model with less mesh and more leather. I hiked some pretty sketchy trails in my Moabs and am still here. I also have a pair a Keen mid composite toe that I use on job for landscaping. One year in they have been great, but they are not my everyday shoe. Also, I am not holding my breathe that the tread doesn't eventually separate. Apparently some people have had that problem with the Keens. If I was going up on a roof, I would be in one of these two, and leave my other boots in the closet.
Our only complaint with Keens is that the tread separates long before the tops wear out. I've solved this on work boots by staying away from the strange sole they have and getting the one piece. I'm fixing my wife's Keen's right now with some shoe goo. If they were not so darn comfortable I'd get something else. Their sandals like the H2 Newports make excellent boat shoes

I wear Danner boots. I work Redwings for years, and they held up well for my needs, but the break in was always rough on my feet. I can pull a new pair of Danner boots out of the box and wear them 12 hrs straight if I need to and still be able to walk at the end of the day. I can't afford their more expensive repairable models, but I get good service out of their "normal" boots that run around $200.

Latest posts

Back