Worth paying for 346xp rebuild?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That saw is 100% worth fixing! There is good info here already. The plastic intake clamp is easily replaced with a metal one.

It looks like one of the limiter caps is missing on the carb and they have been flipped around? Shouldn’t the white ( low screw) be closest to the cylinder ?

Here are 2 pics from my all original OE 346xp
I pulled the right (red) limiting cover off of the high speed jet trying to get it to run better. This is better photo. You can also see the metal clamp added when the carb was replaced. I pull the muffler off and get a photo of the piston tonight.

Attachments

• PXL_20240804_221551931.jpg
    PXL_20240804_221551931.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Just had the local shop put new carburetor on it. Now it wont idle. Not a lot of power. Air leak, I think. Screw hole for oiler assembly screw is stripped. Older model, occasionally used hard, home wood lot. So maybe ring, bearings? I don't have tools or time to rebuild but I love the saw. Is it worth paying someone to rebuild? Who?

This is a strange thread to me.

Lack of information makes this more or less impossible for anyone here to help you.

1. Why was it brought to a shop?
And was the saw returned in worse shape then before handing it over?
This means the shop is responsible?
We can't guess what happened here, share every detail.

2. Did you check inside the carburator yourself? - if you can't dismantle a carb, you will be told to
buy a new carb, at more or less any dealer shop nowadays, aka. get ripped off.
A faulty carburator can show all the signs of airleak, loss of power, no start etc etc etc.

3. What issues remain now, and can you confirm that the shop actually did what they said?
In most cases workshops just do something at a random and tell you it's defective.
I can't tell you how many saws I have received from customers, saying their local shop said X and Y, and made them pay way too much. Only to open up the carb, rebuild it with a carb kit, and it runs perfectly fine.

4. Picures, always show everything you can, and for your own sake, take pictures BEFORE and AFTER having anyone service your machines. Yes...my trust level is at an extreme low for "local workshops".

In short though, yes 346xp is worth rebuilding. :cheers:

Back