Wright Power Blade Saw GS5020A Fun Facts from Brochure.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leonard Meehan

OldChainsawGuy
Reaction score
My friend Andy just dropped off a Wright Blade Saw. He wants to hear it run and so do I. He got it from an estate sale. He had the tool kit, manual, Parts List. He also had the Sales Brochure for the Model 2016. The Saw looks like it has never been run. I have scanned the manuals listed above if anyone wants a copy let me know.

The Model is a GS5020A 7.06 cu in (115.7cc) Blade Saw. The brochures says how light and safe it it. It weighs 25 pounds and the blade does not stop reciprocating when the saw is running. It is attached directly to the crankshaft. There is no clutch system. The fun part is the pictures of guys in boats and trees running this monster and saying how much more safe it it then a dangerous chain. The teeth on this thing are scary.
Check out the brochure that shows the guy on the ladder. Ok he is holding a model 2016 which is only 20 pounds but still does not stop cutting at idle. The captions say SAFEST BAR NONE! There is no off switch. To stop it you take the trigger off of the idle position and let it go all the way down. I guess this was another safety feature.

Attachments

• IMG_3482.JPG
    IMG_3482.JPG
    4 MB
  • IMG_3494.JPG
    IMG_3494.JPG
    2.2 MB
  • Wright MANUAL CS2050A BOAT.jpg
    4.4 MB
  • IMG_3494.JPG
    IMG_3494.JPG
    2.2 MB
  • Wright 2016 BROSCHURE 5.jpg
    4.5 MB
That is a fantastic specimen. I had one about 10 years ago but sold it to someone on here. The nose of mine was splitting from use. I found another at a yard sale but the guy wanted way too much.

I can imagine they were the cat's meow compared to doing it by hand but they were probably retired after a few years of use when a lot more chainsaws hit the scene.

They are kind of useless in wood of any size, not bad for liming in an orchard. I once bought a new one from a dealers shop but used the piston from it in my Wright C70. that now runs great.

If you try to actually cut a log with it you have to keep in mind the short stroke of the reciprocating action, you have to use a "sawing" action pulling the blade out of the log to help clear the chips. If not, it will only cut in a fraction of an inch and then just stop because the kerf is filled with chips. I discovered that mine would not run with the air filter in place, no matter how I tried to clean it, it simply could not pass enough air to keep the engine running.

Wright 5020A 6.JPG

Wright 5020A 8.JPG

I once raced against a Mini Mac in a 6-7" poplar log, I know it hardly seems fair to run 115 cc against 30 cc but the Wright could almost keep up.

Mark

My friend Andy just dropped off a Wright Blade Saw. He wants to hear it run and so do I. He got it from an estate sale. He had the tool kit, manual, Parts List. He also had the Sales Brochure for the Model 2016. The Saw looks like it has never been run. I have scanned the manuals listed above if anyone wants a copy let me know.

The Model is a GS5020A 7.06 cu in (115.7cc) Blade Saw. The brochures says how light and safe it it. It weighs 25 pounds and the blade does not stop reciprocating when the saw is running. It is attached directly to the crankshaft. There is no clutch system. The fun part is the pictures of guys in boats and trees running this monster and saying how much more safe it it then a dangerous chain. The teeth on this thing are scary.
Check out the brochure that shows the guy on the ladder. Ok he is holding a model 2016 which is only 20 pounds but still does not stop cutting at idle. The captions say SAFEST BAR NONE! There is no off switch. To stop it you take the trigger off of the idle position and let it go all the way down. I guess this was another safety feature.
Hey, Leonard! I would be interested in the Parts List and the Manual, if you still have them. My dad just picked up a 5020A off of Facebook Marketplace and he's wanting to turn it into a runner. We've been stumped on how the thing works, so any help is appreciated. Thanks much!

Hey, I'd really be interested in getting the 5020A manual. I'm rebuilding it after cleaning and would also like to read about it. Please and thank you

May as well post my herd again. Yes, that's a C70G (unrestored) on the left. A C40 is below. Still Looking for a 50G.

View attachment 965754

Nice group of Wrights. I finally found a C70 direct that wasn't burnt up, at least I don't think it is. Its on the bench now. I may have enough parts to put two together actually.

Good luck on a C50G, you know there were 2 different types. One was gear reduction and the other was a planetary drive like the C70G.

Nice group of Wrights. I finally found a C70 direct that wasn't burnt up, at least I don't think it is. Its on the bench now. I may have enough parts to put two together actually.

Good luck on a C50G, you know there were 2 different types. One was gear reduction and the other was a planetary drive like the C70G.
Thanks. Yes on the C50G - hoping for the planetary version I may have some spare parts for the 70 if needed. I'll take a look to see.

Thanks. Yes on the C50G - hoping for the planetary version I may have some spare parts for the 70 if needed. I'll take a look to see.

Yeah good luck on that search! They seem harder to find then the 70G and we know you and I and only a couple others have those. I had the C50 regular gear drive I picked up but it was missing parts and let a friend have it.

Thanks for the parts offer but I should have everything I need at this point.

Back