024 to 026?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 024AVS (super) and I know the P&C is the same as a 026. But if you have the non-super model then I doubt it. Maybe someone else who's tried it will chime in.

An 026 P&C will fit an 024 SUPER just fine, but you need to cut off a few cooling fins on the top of the jug to make it do so. The height of the jug is taller on the 26. If you don't cut the fins, you will have to use 026 plastics, both top and rear (If you want it to look nice).

The flywheel should really be changed on the 024 if you step up the displacement or performance. The Japanese built Stihl 026 flywheel is a huge cooling improvement over the 024 German one.

I'm still going to try an 026 jug on a Non-Super 024. The above poster is right about the different stroke. What people don't understand is that the crank is set higher in the case in the regular 024. When they made the super, they dropped where the crank centerline was. I suspect that was 1mm. My suspicion is that the piston at TDC height is likely the same on both the non-super and super 024, but I still need to confirm this. The shorter stroke may actually help the timing numbers on the OEM jug as well.

There's a build thread on the forbidden site of an 024S to 026 jug ported conversion.

Outdoor power equipment forum. This site won't allow me to post the link.

I went ahead and ordered a new 024 piston and cylinder. Don't plan to keep the saw anyway unless it runs really well and I already have enough saws that run good. The 024 is all apart awaiting the new jug along with another project I inherited today, an 023 which I probably will change into an 025.

Biggest squawk I have about the 024 is the expensive air filter, and they are getting hard to find. Stihl wants $30 for one of them so don't lose it. When they run right, they run well. I find it a lot easier to rebuild the top ends on the even-numbered saws than the odd-numbered clam shells.

Biggest squawk I have about the 024 is the expensive air filter, and they are getting hard to find. Stihl wants $30 for one of them so don't lose it. When they run right, they run well. I find it a lot easier to rebuild the top ends on the even-numbered saws than the odd-numbered clam shells.
Yep, I've got one of each torn down now. Instead of rebuilding this 023 I decided to try a new engine in it at about the same price as it cost to rebuild the old one and it's an 025 engine instead of the 023. The 024 is just gonna get a new P/C, hopefully nothing more, the filter looks to be in decent shape.

Yep, I've got one of each torn down now. Instead of rebuilding this 023 I decided to try a new engine in it at about the same price as it cost to rebuild the old one and it's an 025 engine instead of the 023. The 024 is just gonna get a new P/C, hopefully nothing more, the filter looks to be in decent shape.
I eventually got the 024 converted to an 026 with the larger top end. That required buying new plastic for the carb cover and shroud, a new carb, and a much less-expensive air filter. Surprisingly, the total aftermarket parts cost about the same as the 024's OEM air filter alone that was shot.

The 024 I'm working on has good plastic on it so I'm trying to keep it like an 024. I saw somewhere on here that someone is taking the old air filters and covering them with some kind of mesh fabric to re-new the worn out filters. I've kept a couple of old Stihl filters so I can experiment with them later on.

Well, here is the proof in the pudding:

Note that I plugged the hole in the shroud that was set aside for the decomp valve that accompanies the 026 PRO. It's not really required on this saw. I can start it fine without that. The shroud also needed some minor shaping on the back left pin that drops into the case. I also added the outer bumper spike and aligned the points with the inner spike. That was all easy work for me.

I like this saw. The HP-weight ratio is excellent and it always starts. Nowadays, that's important for me. Thanks for looking.

this has conversion done by friend. top end is am. 024 covers fit. 46 vs 50cc. could get pics if ya need.
View attachment 507707
Look at the bent angle in the top cover. The fins under that area need to be cut down to clear on the 26 jug.

I eventually got the 024 converted to an 026 with the larger top end. That required buying new plastic for the carb cover and shroud, a new carb, and a much less-expensive air filter. Surprisingly, the total aftermarket parts cost about the same as the 024's OEM air filter alone that was shot.

The 024 I'm working on has good plastic on it so I'm trying to keep it like an 024. I saw somewhere on here that someone is taking the old air filters and covering them with some kind of mesh fabric to re-new the worn out filters. I've kept a couple of old Stihl filters so I can experiment with them later on.
Was that a standard 024 or a Super?

Those are MS260 AM plastics which, as you see, work fine. The AM 260 air filter can fit, but sometimes the vent will hit. @pioneerguy600 has a thread on it somewhere. He knows his stuff.

If you're doing this conversion, I highly recommend adding an 026 flywheel for better cooling.

Here's so pics of the flywheel differences and the fin cuts needed.

45b4d6ee330b107eb8671bea58cfbe65.jpg
f531b92098ac41b1469e23daa5e0829a.jpg
0f00643d1ce692e9e0128f8c5591fd1d.jpg
49e621b62b3130ecf36c9dd44aab16f5.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Look at the bent angle in the top cover. The fins under that area need to be cut down to clear on the 26 jug.

Was that a standard 024 or a Super?

Those are MS260 AM plastics which, as you see, work fine. The AM 260 air filter can fit, but sometimes the vent will hit. @pioneerguy600 has a thread on it somewhere. He knows his stuff.

If you're doing this conversion, I highly recommend adding an 026 flywheel for better cooling.

Here's so pics of the flywheel differences and the fin cuts needed.
Now that you mention it, I'm not sure mine's not a Super, I'll check and see. I just got mine last week and remember the label saying "Electronic Quickstop".

Latest posts

Back