16,000 pound piece of fire wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No brain bucket and standing under that:confused! I have cut three this year
very similar and loaded with my grapple but never thought they would
weigh 8 tons per small chunk I must have been overloaded Wow.

That must be a pretty serious grapple to lift 16k logs!!

I've been on jobs taking down this size wood. 2 oaks that big that I can recall. Never would have guessed that it could weigh so much. Thanks for the info.

That must be a pretty serious grapple to lift 16k logs!!

It really struggles on those big uns I have to cut them in 6 to 8
foot length and pull it to the truck but I have loaded everything
so far. I cut a huge uprooting wateroak similar to that and that is
what the pics look like to me water oak. The black jack we have
here has all kinds of brambles dead twigs all over it. Anyway big
uns are cool:clap:

He worked for the crane co and was not my responsibility. I really don't think a hard hat would have helped if that piece got on him.
I took down a simular sized tree several years ago and loaded it with a pretty strong knucke boom, but had to cut it into pretty short rounds.

It's stupid to stand under loads, no matter the size of the crane. there was no reason, either. A couple of little tag lines would have controlled it perfectly! A friends brother just had a hand crushed. He reached under a big lift in a factory to "put a couple of blocks under the pallet so they could set the load down on them". Wouldn't you know it, a piece of rigging failed at just the wrong time. He has the hand, but it isn't much good.
WL

He worked for the crane co and was not my responsibility. I really don't think a hard hat would have helped if that piece got on him.
I took down a simular sized tree several years ago and loaded it with a pretty strong knucke boom, but had to cut it into pretty short rounds.

+1 on the hard hat not protecting but why should he be under it.
It looks like red oak or water to me jmo.

If I think about it I may get one of my big chunks
out of the pile and lift it and take a pic I split the
biggest one but I have some pretty serious stuff
laying around here somewhere.

I was wondering, when you guys are cutting down trees in sections like this using a crane to lift the chunks, that you have cut off, do you use wedges to prevent your saw being pinched, when you cut through the tree?
I was on You Tube, and I was watching a guy in the video called Whipping a Tree, and he got his Chain Saw pinched by the weight of the log that he cut through, while it has held suspended in the air from an over head crane.
He had a hard time getting his saw freed, and I thought the way he was working at getting his saw freed was hard on the Bar, and Chain, Other Wise, pretty impressive work that you Guys do. Thanks. Bruce.

I don't do crane work but if I have a grapple truck lifting the butt log that I am cutting I don't normally use wedges. A grapple truck does have a bit more ability to move the wood side to side incrementally than a crane does though. A lot of times I've found that simply ripping off small pieces of bark and jamming them in the cut as you work your way around is sufficient to prevent saw pinching.

I don't do crane work but if I have a grapple truck lifting the butt log that I am cutting I don't normally use wedges. A grapple truck does have a bit more ability to move the wood side to side incrementally than a crane does though. A lot of times I've found that simply ripping off small pieces of bark and jamming them in the cut as you work your way around is sufficient to prevent saw pinching.
OK. Thanks for the responce. As I was watching that guy on You Tube, I was thinking that it looked pretty rough on the Guide Bar, or posibility of being bent. Well any way, he had a quite a workout getting his saw freed. Bruce.

That's not to say that I haven't pinched my fair share of saws in big wood! Every piece is different and you have to make a judgment call every time. Sometimes you pinch a bar and wish you'da taken the extra 30 secs to grab the wedges and hammer from the truck.

Back