16,000 pound piece of fire wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's not to say that I haven't pinched my fair share of saws in big wood! Every piece is different and you have to make a judgment call every time. Sometimes you pinch a bar and wish you'da taken the extra 30 secs to grab the wedges and hammer from the truck.
I noticed that you are from Binghampton, NY. and I was wondering if Country Bob's still open? I used to drive Transport Truck, and was in that Truck Stop next Door a lot, and he had a nice Motor Cycle, on display in the Bay Windows there at his Bar. I was never inside it, but used to look at the Motor Cycle. Bruce.

I was wondering, when you guys are cutting down trees in sections like this using a crane to lift the chunks, that you have cut off, do you use wedges to prevent your saw being pinched, when you cut through the tree?
I was on You Tube, and I was watching a guy in the video called Whipping a Tree, and he got his Chain Saw pinched by the weight of the log that he cut through, while it has held suspended in the air from an over head crane.
He had a hard time getting his saw freed, and I thought the way he was working at getting his saw freed was hard on the Bar, and Chain, Other Wise, pretty impressive work that you Guys do. Thanks. Bruce.

Almost everyone I have ever seen do crane work gets their bar stuck all the time.
This amazes me. It is very simple not to get your bar pinched as the crane begins to lift the chunk. Just finish your cut under the ball and clevis. It is the side that will lift first.
And the Number One Way Not to Pinch Your Bar................
Learn to ream your cuts!!!!!!!!!!

I noticed that you are from Binghampton, NY. and I was wondering if Country Bob's still open? I used to drive Transport Truck, and was in that Truck Stop next Door a lot, and he had a nice Motor Cycle, on display in the Bay Windows there at his Bar. I was never inside it, but used to look at the Motor Cycle. Bruce.

Never, been there or heard of it. Just ran a google search on it and didn't catch squat. Must be out of business from what I can tell.

I was wondering, when you guys are cutting down trees in sections like this using a crane to lift the chunks, that you have cut off, do you use wedges to prevent your saw being pinched, when you cut through the tree?
I was on You Tube, and I was watching a guy in the video called Whipping a Tree, and he got his Chain Saw pinched by the weight of the log that he cut through, while it has held suspended in the air from an over head crane.
He had a hard time getting his saw freed, and I thought the way he was working at getting his saw freed was hard on the Bar, and Chain, Other Wise, pretty impressive work that you Guys do. Thanks. Bruce.

Strap, choker, placement plays a big part in not getting your saw pinched while working with the crane.

Almost everyone I have ever seen do crane work gets their bar stuck all the time.
This amazes me. It is very simple not to get your bar pinched as the crane begins to lift the chunk. Just finish your cut under the ball and clevis. It is the side that will lift first.
Thanks for the reply. Until I seen how it was done on You Tube, I always wondered how in the world you guys got the trees out of a tight area. I was very impressed seeing it. Thanks for shareing your pictures of the work you have done. Bruce.

i always try to set the ball up on the backside of the wood facing the boom and cut towards the boom. that way as i start to finish the cut he lifts the wood off the stem.

of course not all cuts are the same. the wood also dictates what cut to use.

i love crane work.

One pick on this crane tree weighed 16,000lbs.

Great Pictures. I work around cranes daily and if you worked with us you would not work here very long.

1st you should never ever stand under a load. (Or even any where close)
equipment can, and does fail even brand new stuff. You are seriously risking your life needlessly.

2nd. Where's your PPE? not that a hard hat would help if that thing fell.

:dizzy:

Back