7900 oiling gremlins

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Considering the number of models in this family 3 - Dolmar and 3 - Makitas and the number of saws sold. Complaints about oil leaking on these saws is very small. But with Dolmar the number is not factor. We have always worked to correct any and all complaints as we are doing with this information.

yes you have been working on getting the saws better, i have some new 7900's with the new switch in them , that is a good move, now if we could get them with the nylon filter on the saw instead of having to buy them that would also be nice, are there any changes coming down the road with Dolmar, I hear Makita is not going to be selling anymore 6400,7300,7900,saws anymore, with the new laws are you going to have to change anything on the saws or are you going to build a different design like what husky has done with the new 575, I know I would like to know and am sure there are others here as well

That family of saws when first introduced had the nylon filter in the box with the tool. That filter when used in southern states allows sand to be sucked into the cylinder and scores the cylinder walls and piston. It was a problem so the nylon filter was removed. The fleece filter (not being the best for winter months) is still the best one to have out of the box on the tool. Not sure where the news of Makita not selling the 6400,7300 and 7900 is coming from but at this time they will continue to sell. Changes are in the works but not totally sure to what degree changes will be made. We too will be coming with models with better emmissions.
1. A LE or Low Emissions carburetor is currently being used on all European production.
2. The LESS System - Low Emission Straified Scavenging will be coming.
3. Catalytic Plates.
4. Catalytic Converters.
These are the areas in which we are headed.

The Makita news is coming out of other dealer meetings in Toronto,

is the motors in the 7900 series going to be the same as far as the piston and jug,cause we can get by with the carb and muffler deal , they are easy to fix

Makita Canada is a seperate company from the US so I can not answer for what they intend to do but I will try to get as much information as I can.

Thanks, i would just like to know on the motor to if possible, i would like to design this winter a new 0-5 cu pipe motor using the 7900 to start with but if there is going to be a big change in the motor it may not be worth me spending money on building new parts for that saw, cause I would like to sell these saws to racers , sure I could just buy 15 or 20 of them but I would like to see the same motor around for awhile

Sorry forgot to finish. There are no changes planned for the 7900 that we know of. If something is coming I will try to find out and let you know.

Dolmar tech, of the 10 or so 7900's that people on this site have I know of at least two that are leakers. I might also add that the average person that buys these saws may not notice the probllem till they cook a bar which may take awhile if they are homeowner/farmer types.
One other thing to have your guys look at is the starter sytem. They are on the weak side. Mine is actually starting to miss and it has only a year and half of on and off pro use. FWIW I do use the decomp button.
I guess in short you have a great saw on your hands. A few gremlins need to be fixed and it will best husky and stihl equivelents in every aspect.

Mange the oil pump on the 7900 uses a interferance fit on the pressure side hose vs. a barbed, brass fitting like a stihl or Husky uses.

I would agree that 2 out of 10 is a high percentage. We have a national rental account using the smaller saw for over 2 years now and there have been no complaints of oil leaking from them. Not to say it is not worth looking at as we will continue to revise our products to make them better.

Hey there's more than 2 problem saws here. My count is three on this thread and Sawman and DTM both mentioning known leaks as well.

Ben, would you buy a 7900 again assuming there are no changes in it?

This question is for Dolmar Tech Mgr. Can you get me drawings with tolerances for the outlet hole of the oil pump and the size of the oil line. I would like to design an aluminum nipple to press into the pump that the line can connect to. I have access to a CNC lathe and could make these like popcorn, but want to make sure they could be produced at a given tolerance and fit any saw, without having to custom make one for each application, and without modifying the pumps. I'm sure they could be made cheap enough, and I'd like to install these on any saws I sell, just to prevent problems and tainting of reputation. It is hard enough to get a Stihl or Husqvarna fans to consider a Dolmar, but to let a problem like this leave a bad taste is going to be even worse.

I Think the 7900 is a great saw even with a few little quirks. I have personally had no oiling problems and I run 7900's alot. I typically run a 24" bar with an 8 tooth gear.

Terry,
I was speaking to another member and they had been told that Dolmar was being purchased by a division of Briggs and Straton. Any insight on this?

Thanks
Hunter

Out of curiosity, who manufactured the 24" bar you are using.
God I love the rumor mill, B&S buying Dolmar, and here I didnt even know Dolmar was for sale. Out of more curiosity, where did you hear that B&S was buying Dolmar. We just recently added a new Dolmar Wholesaler for KY Southern Indiana and Most of Tennessee that is a B&S distributor - Commonwealth Engine in Louisville, KY.

This was stated outright at a meeting they attended. I figured I would ask you, since I heard it second hand.

As far as the bar, its a Carlton Pro champ wich is a GB Pro top.
I have had no problems with it at all.
Hunter

I went out cutting with the 7900 today. When I got back in the shop, I took a look, and sure enough, oil all over the underside of the saw as before. Disgusted, I began to dissasemble the clutch and oil pump, and lo and behold, the line was still glued to the pump! It looks to me like the leak may be coming from possibly more than one, or another spot all together. I thought I could see evidence of oil running down behind the metal wear plate where the other end of the oiler line sits into the saw body. So I used some blue silicone around the rubber flange on that end of the line, and reassembled it. I also noticed that my bar oiler hole was not plugged. That usually plugs almost immediately. At first I was wondering what came first, the chicken or the egg? In other words, is the lack of oil because of leaking allowing the oil hole to plug up, or is the plugging of the oil hole causing back pressure that is creating leaks? It looks like the leaking may be allowing the oil hole to plug more easily.

Tony, The type of leak your talking about is because of the bar issue. Lemme guess your using a 20" bar, 8 pin sprocket and a 72 dl chain? Flip the saw on its side like you would when you make a back cut and the oil coming out of the bar groove will be plain to see.

Close, only a 7 tooth drive. The oil is on the inside of the wear plate, running down the crankcase housing, into the oil pump cavity, and leaking out primarily at the adjusting screw, just like it would if the leak was coming from the pump/hose junction.

I actually glued the hose to the oil pump with the whole assembly out, then placed the oil pump back in and fed the line around the backside of the brake band, back into it's slot. When I loosened the oil pump to take it out, the line was coming with it. I didn't take it all the way out, as I didn't want to break the joint, so maybe only a small spot of the joint is leaking, but it's still glued to the pump, but it sure looked to me like oil was coming down from the other end of the line.

Back