7900 oiling gremlins

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Close, only a 7 tooth drive. The oil is on the inside of the wear plate, running down the crankcase housing, into the oil pump cavity, and leaking out primarily at the adjusting screw, just like it would if the leak was coming from the pump/hose junction.

I actually glued the hose to the oil pump with the whole assembly out, then placed the oil pump back in and fed the line around the backside of the brake band, back into it's slot. When I loosened the oil pump to take it out, the line was coming with it. I didn't take it all the way out, as I didn't want to break the joint, so maybe only a small spot of the joint is leaking, but it's still glued to the pump. It sure looked to me like oil was coming down from the seal at the other end of the line.

I glued a 2" o-ring in a face groove machined in a steel shaft with four drops of Black Max adhesive, and when I had to change the o-ring, I had to scrap out bits and pieces of rubber with a knife.

I thought the same thing till I found out about the oil leeking from the bar thing. That plate is queezed really tight by the bra being attached to the saw.
BTW you really need a 8 pin sprocket.

Right, the plate is squeezed tight, but the oiler hose has to seal off completely the cavity where oil makes the transition from the saw to the bar. If the flange around the hose is not sealed, oil could go around it and back into the pump cavity.

I keep my rakers a little lower than .025". I figure if the rakers are 8/7 * .025", which is .029", it's about like and 8 pin. I noticed the saw had way to much torque for a 7 pin and 20" bar.

OK, I see what your saying. I actually glued mine in place at the pump and at the area you are tlaking about. I would think if oil made it that far, and the oil hole wasnt clogged that it would not leak around the hose.

Man it's funny reading this having dealt with the same problems. I used some gas and oil resistant sealant to help form a better seal. The oil can really start running behind the plate, alot more than you would think.

Revival 2

Here I am, count me in--on the slobberfestival of 7900's.

Any developments? Fixed or sold?

Yeah, I PM'ed everybody. Would like to fix this. Posting hasn't drawn anything constructive. Is there another thread with the ultimate super fix? I'm not finding it.:censored:

Hey!

Thanks for the new line Dolmar Tech. I'm about to put it on and seef that helps the problem.

ANY new info here? Or is everybody happy with a truckbed full of oil?:deadhorse:

Well, I just installed a new oiler output hose on my 7900, which was a revised part #. The new hose was noticably thicker, especially at the base where the pump sits on it. I had tried putting a washer underneath the old hose where it meets the pump, but it still leaked pretty bad. After installing the new one I haven't noticed any oil seeping out at all.:biggrinbounce2: Just hope it lasts.

I ran out of time while making the tool the other day. Had to put it back together and go. Then had to "mill" some and cut a blowdown out of the road.

I'd say about half of each oil tank goes onto the bar. The rest goes on top of my boots and in the bed of the truck.

I'll report when I get my changed out and look for more reports as to who has a leaker and who doesn't.

The new part I have is green, don't have numbers. Rep sent it.

I ran out of time while making the tool the other day. Had to put it back together and go. Then had to "mill" some and cut a blowdown out of the road.

I'd say about half of each oil tank goes onto the bar. The rest goes on top of my boots and in the bed of the truck.

I'll report when I get my changed out and look for more reports as to who has a leaker and who doesn't.

The new part I have is green, don't have numbers. Rep sent it.
You must be a idiot...7900's dont have a oil leakage problem.....:clap:
BTW Sarcasm intended.

Back