Alright you, HUSKY fans time to put up or shut up!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Happened a lot when the saw was stock, haven't noticed it since it was ported. And that's included some firewood work - dry redgum and semi chisel chain - that was hard work to keep the dogs out with a stock saw.

Maybe the semi chisel has something to do with it. It is less grabby right?

Maybe the semi chisel has something to do with it. It is less grabby right?
Not in my experience - I find semi more grabby. Of course my filing, both on angles and skill at achieving an end result, and raker height would have a massive affect. Your experiences may differ.
Semi chisel and dry hardwood is the worst case scenario for me. Redgum isn't the hardest wood in the world - but it's pretty close!
A new house and no wood prepped for this year has given me ample opportunities to find out.

Not in my experience - I find semi more grabby. Of course my filing, both on angles and skill at achieving an end result, and raker height would have a massive affect. Your experiences may differ.
Semi chisel and dry hardwood is the worst case scenario for me. Redgum isn't the hardest wood in the world - but it's pretty close!
A new house and no wood prepped for this year has given me ample opportunities to find out.

Do you run Semi exclusively? I can sharpen square & full chisel round efficiently without jigs grinders or templates but for some reason when I try to sharpen the semi on the top handles it never comes out very good. I've also never bought it to play around with & it's a real small pitch on the top handles so I have a hard time actually seeing it. I need me some bifocals or something I swear.. Lol. Who knows, who's to say I was even given the right size file.

Oh yeah about that pic I posted, the saw is still doing the bog & dog thing in hardwood after resizing the spikes, just not as bad. I still have the factory single, I wonder If I can get that in a double. Kinda blows thinking about taking them off because one of the reasons I put them in was to protect the case in the front from grinding against wood ect.

Do you run Semi exclusively? I can sharpen square & full chisel round efficiently without jigs grinders or templates but for some reason when I try to sharpen the semi on the top handles it never comes out very good. I've also never bought it to play around with & it's a real small pitch on the top handles so I have a hard time actually seeing it. I need me some bifocals or something I swear.. Lol. Who knows, who's to say I was even given the right size file.

Oh yeah about that pic I posted, the saw is still doing the bog & dog thing in hardwood after resizing the spikes, just not as bad. I still have the factory single, I wonder If I can get that in a double. Kinda blows thinking about taking them off because one of the reasons I put them in was to protect the case in the front from grinding against wood ect.
I don't run any chain exclusively! Oregon, stihl, and Carlton all end up on the saws at some stage. I might buy a loop or two of something to try, otherwise it's whatever is cheap/I really want it, on a roll. I keep full chisel round and semi in stock for 325 and 3/8, and just buy loops of 3/8 lp as I don't use much.

Semi comes out for firewood duties atm, but in a normal day there is one loop of semi in the toolbox and full chisel round on the saw (with a couple of spares in the toolbox). If the wood is dirty or I have trashed a couple of full chisel chains on rocks/nails/wire I throw on the semi. I'd still do 90% of my cutting with full chisel.
Normal day is 3 of us on saws, 345,445,346oe,359,562 and 385 in the truck.
My comments about being more grabby only relate to full size 3/8 chain options. I don't seem to notice the grabbiness in 325 and 3/8lp semi when compared to full chisel.

I haven't used square at all.

Seeing as I've never really ran semi on larger saws to compare to full chisel round, do you feel a big difference in cutting speed? It would be nice to have something that doesn't get banged up so easily, especially when going through these rotted stumps. I have a whole selection of saws at work but I really only use my Master-M 562 now unless I need a larger bar on a 372 or something. I don't even bring my 440 in anymore. What's your opinion.

If you have just enough saw for your wood/bar length then semi sucks.
If you have a good match then semi is fine but slow.
If you have too much saw then it doesn't seem to matter - but semi is still a bit slower.

If it's rotten - use semi. It does deal with it a bit better, your saw isn't being taxed by a full bar length of hard wood, and if you are stumping that's when you find the dirt, rocks, chicken wire......
I like to use my semi as if I don't like it, and keep the full chisel in a razor sharp condition. It works for me.

I still go between fits of preferring ground vs filed in semi chisel. I'm not certain I have found my ideal setup with semi yet, most of the time it's getting the bad jobs and that means it's getting filed every tank anyway - so I've almost stopped trying to be clever with my grinds and just shaping the wheel to the profile of the file and making it easy to file after grinding. You can make it quicker than "standard" but you lose something whichever way you go.

Latest posts

Back