Alright you, HUSKY fans time to put up or shut up!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sock savers are awesome!

Started using them to keep grass seeds out of my socks (not chainsawing), but I don't put on my chainsaw pants without them now. Great when digging too as they keep the dirt out of your boots.

They are in every Aussie supermarket, no idea on availability stateside. They only run to a few dollars, I'm sure they could be made easily by someone half handy with a sewing machine, they look like this -
http://www.overboots.com.au/

Without trying to derail this thread. Are PPL particular about what they burn down there? As in do they care if it's green or seasoned?

Sawmills don't take wood?? Wow, that's nuts.. So, if you don't really do firewood in the summer & very little in the winter, what on earth do y'all do with the wood? That stuff adds up quick? I mean, we have to bring full log truck loads out of yard & to the mill 30mins away at least once a week or well have no where to park our equipment... & we got a pretty big yard. Although wood doesn't get what it used to around here at the mills, it's just a place to get rid of it & make a little after fuel costs & time. But, a good load of hardwood to a firewood guy or homeowner will net about $800.

Well wood either gets burned for bonfires or we do have lots of BBQ's joints. The larger wood gets taken to mulch dumps and they make Gold or Red mulch or compost out of it. Live Oak, Pecan and Citrus are used to cook with and Oak to burn. One fellow burns large amounts of wood for the ash.

Sock savers are awesome!

Started using them to keep grass seeds out of my socks (not chainsawing), but I don't put on my chainsaw pants without them now. Great when digging too as they keep the dirt out of your boots.

They are in every Aussie supermarket, no idea on availability stateside. They only run to a few dollars, I'm sure they could be made easily by someone half handy with a sewing machine, they look like this -
http://www.overboots.com.au/

Ahh sock savers.. I'll have to check them out. This is what I came up with when I googled "sock covers"

Sorry M&R I had too..

ahumaga4.jpg

I thought to myself, "ohh cute those will go well with my louis..." Hahaha:p:eek:

Well wood either gets burned for bonfires or we do have lots of BBQ's joints. The larger wood gets taken to mulch dumps and they make Gold or Red mulch or compost out of it. Live Oak, Pecan and Citrus are used to cook with and Oak to burn. One fellow burns large amounts of wood for the ash.

Ahh.. Interesting.. Funny you mention mulch dumps.. We have a place around here here called "M&R" it's a HUGE lot that supplies a couple hundred square miles radius of nursuries selling mulch. I thought you might have been associated at first. They got all the huge equipment, the big bandit "beast recylcles" & a few other huge setups. We bring all our dead rotted stuff there because the saw mill will charge us for bringing junk. It's also one of the places we bring our chips.

So when you mention BBQ joints & pecan, citrus & live oak to cook with, are you talking about resteraunts that buy it off you?

They don't buy Oak, but Pecan and Citrus you can sometimes make a deal with them. Hickory is hard to come by but they'll buy that. I just want my trucks unloaded and my guys lunch. We are a small company. I have 4 chippers, Two buckets and a couple dump trucks. Never wanted more than that really. Stressful enough at this level.

Alright.. To bring this thread back on track, here is my DD. It's nice & light, pulls a 20 great & will do a 25 if I can't manipulate a 20 to get it done. Yes, that sticker actually added hp too.!

Got a question for y'all with this setup.
Notice my bottom dog.. I took it in a bit. When the chain would self feed & pull the saw into the wood it used to bog the saw immediately. Faster than you could react. Now it would do this regardless of raker height as it would do it on brand new RSK. However i found it doesn't do it with square ground as i believe round to be more grabby. I took the dogs off, put them together in a vise & ground away. I only did this last night but it seemed to be a good fix. Reason I bring it up is, has anyone else experienced this issue?

qaryqy4a.jpg
atabunaj.jpg

They don't buy Oak, but Pecan and Citrus you can sometimes make a deal with them. Hickory is hard to come by but they'll buy that. I just want my trucks unloaded and my guys lunch. We are a small company. I have 4 chippers, Two buckets and a couple dump trucks. Never wanted more than that really. Stressful enough at this level.

4 chippers 2 buckets couple dumps = Small?? I wouldn't consider that small, unless your a small crew & your only running 1 bucket 1 chip & 1 dump at a time & the rest are backups or equipment you replaced.

It's odd how the different demographics demand different prices or no price at all. There's a local guy here who supplies all the wood stove resteraunts around here in town & down in Boston. He brings them crates, probably a 1/4 cord in them with the wood all neatly stacked. It's most likley alot of time processing but the guy makes a fortune & If I was to guess he is selling seasoned oak, a similar product to what you have to give away. Crazy huh?

Long story short - I like the double dogs on my 562, but they are borderline too aggressive. It will be interesting to hear what you think.

Long story short - I like the double dogs on my 562, but they are borderline too aggressive. It will be interesting to hear what you think.

Well what I think was that the bottom dog was way too low causing way too much leverage on larger wood than say... 18in?? I got into some 20+ today & the problem wasn't as bad. The issue never really reared it head in softwood for me though. It was always the hardwoods. To be honest, I'd like to take them all in a bit to experiment but I just don't have the energy to do it.... I'd be sitting there with a micrometer trying to get it perfect. Kinda like when you try to line up your beard or side burns, you keep trying to perfect it & then you end up with nothing.. Lol.

Have they ever bogged/jammed you up like I speak of? I know I can't be the only one..

Ahh now IC the ladder.. Glad to hear you made it out OK..lol. You ever been over to uncle moustache's pic thread? It's quite a trip.

Have they ever bogged/jammed you up like I speak of? I know I can't be the only one..

Happened a lot when the saw was stock, haven't noticed it since it was ported. And that's included some firewood work - dry redgum and semi chisel chain - that was hard work to keep the dogs out with a stock saw.

I have experienced the oversize spikes ( west coast as they are sometimes called ) causing too much leverage on several saws. Took them off and went back to original size and very little problems then.

Back