How to replace rings in poulan?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks
sounds like good advice.
I generally need to keep reminding myself when doing peojects
"take your time and do it right"
shouldn't be that hard to remember!

say greg, do you happen to remember what the ring gap should be on a 3400? I just picked up another one and it only had 100#. The jug and piston look great, when I checked the ring end gap, it was about 1/8th of an inch!!!

NIK, I measured the ring pin at .060. If your ring end gap measured .125 that leaves a net gap of .065. Now the argument can start whether you should deduct the width of the ring pin. There was a Thread a couple months ago that beat that argument to death. Not sure of final consensus however.

Bob

To replace the seals, do you simply pry the old ones out and press in the new seals? Or do you have to remove the crank from the case?

To replace the seals, do you simply pry the old ones out and press in the new seals? Or do you have to remove the crank from the case?

Pry old seals out, carefully. Use a very small screw driver or pick. Be careful not to damage crankcase. One trick is to heat the tip of a small screwdriver and bend it 90 degrees. Use use the flattened portion to pry one edge up. When installing new seals, I put a light coat of oil on crankshaft and inside of seal(rubber). I also put a thin coat of a good sealant on exterior edge of seal. Press seal in till its flush or slightly below crankcase. I start by hand then use a socket to tap it in. Be sure it goes in evenly as its easy for socket to push one side in further than the other side. On clutch side, wrap tape or something else(aluminum foil, etc.) where shaft steps up. You don't want rubber portion of the seal to catch on the crank lip or rubber will invert and push out. Go slowly and you'll be fine.

Thanks
I now have repair parts, some rainy day time in the shop this weekend, enthusiasm, and just enough knowledge to be dangerous.
what more could you need?
Jon

NIK, I measured the ring pin at .060. If your ring end gap measured .125 that leaves a net gap of .065. Now the argument can start whether you should deduct the width of the ring pin. There was a Thread a couple months ago that beat that argument to death. Not sure of final consensus however.

Bob

thanks Bob, I'll let you know what the new ones measure as soon as I buy them.

Latest posts

Back