Sachs Dolmar Chainsaws Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sachs Dolmar 120 Super Not running

Hey guys. Brand new here, just joined. My old man has a Sachs Dolmar 120 Super. It won't start. It was running fine last week, until he shut it off. Couldn't get it started, gave it to me. I noticed the muffler was falling off, and found two bolts to bolt it back on. Still wouldn't start until yesterday, and even then not after 20 pulls. And that was after cleaning the air filter, changing the plug from a Champion CJ6Y to a Champion CJ7Y, some carb cleaner sprayed into the intake, various choke on/choke off, no throttle/partial throttle/full throttle, primer pump combinations. She coughed on a pull, and the next one fired up and ran like nothing was wrong. Wide open and no throttle was fine, she seemed happy. Cut through a few logs, shut it off, restarted fine. Puled it out today, won't start.

I've got about 122psi for compression, spark is good, and the plug is wet with fuel. Fresh gas and oil, and she still won't start. Ideas? I hate to see this saw go to the back of the shelf, but it's no good as a paperweight. We've had issues before, but two different shops have gone through it, never seems to be quite perfect.

Any help would be awesome. Thanks.

-Tom

Hey guys. Brand new here, just joined. My old man has a Sachs Dolmar 120 Super. It won't start...

Hi there, and welcome to AS. Lots of good guys here with lots of knowledge.

I'm no expert but I've got a sneaky suspicion that you're flooding the saw. You've got to listen closely for that burble then back off the choke. FWIW your compression seems low.

How much compression should I have in this beast? I know i'm flooding the saw after the first 4 pulls, but then why would it start on the 20th? It won't even cough on the first four pulls. The next 16 I give it are out of desperation. Intermittent spark possibly?
And I'll take it easy on the carb cleaner.

-Tom

The 120 Super will have 140-145 lbs comp if in good condition, pull the muffler and take a look at the piston, any scoring on the exhaust side and it will need some attention. If there are no marks on the piston then likely a new set of rings will bring the compression up. Let`s hope it`s not spark related, that under flywheel module is getting hard to find.

this is my first Sachs Dolmar saw, a 120 Super, picked it up for $5, got it to fire on a prime so it will go into the project pile.

Photo0485.jpg

I'm getting a red X and no pic Jim.
But congrats on a nice find.
The 120's are nice saws. The SI version
is the best but the supers aren't far behind.

Lee

The 120 Super will have 140-145 lbs comp if in good condition, pull the muffler and take a look at the piston, any scoring on the exhaust side and it will need some attention. If there are no marks on the piston then likely a new set of rings will bring the compression up. Let`s hope it`s not spark related, that under flywheel module is getting hard to find.

Thanks. I'll see about getting a new set of rings this week, and hopefully I'll have them in by next weekend.

153?

I went to a flea market today and saw my friend John had a Dolmar. I think it was a 153. It was missing the air filter and air filter cover. It started and ran good. He wants a Ben Franklin for it. I thought if anyone here wants it I could send it to you if he still has it after today. Email me and I will check for you. mrupley at jps dot net

Will a 120 (non-Super) p/c bolt on to a 116 Super?

If so, is there any benefit to doing so?

The 116 super is actually a 116si and the 120 non super p&c won't fit. A 120 super or 120si p&c will fit though. That would make the 60cc 116si a 68cc 120si. Sort of like putting a 7900 p&c on a 6400 on the newer Dolmars.

The 116 and non super 120 have the same stroke and possibly the same bottom end. If so the p&c could be swapped on those. That would increase the displacement from 56cc to 61cc.

The 116 super is actually a 116si and the 120 non super p&c won't fit. A 120 super or 120si p&c will fit though. That would make the 60cc 116si a 68cc 120si. Sort of like putting a 7900 p&c on a 6400 on the newer Dolmars.

The 116 and non super 120 have the same stroke and possibly the same bottom end. If so the p&c could be swapped on those. That would increase the displacement from 56cc to 61cc.

So, si/super are compatible between 116 and 120. Non-si/non-super are compatible between 116 and 120.

Correct?

Can you bolt a 120 super topend on a non-super/non-si crankcase?

So, si/super are compatible between 116 and 120. Non-si/non-super are compatible between 116 and 120.

Correct?

Can you bolt a 120 super topend on a non-super/non-si crankcase?

The first part is correct.

A super top end may physically bolt on but the stroke is different. Non super 35mm and super 36mm. That 1mm is the deal breaker. I've never tried it so I don't know if it would work.

112 oiler

The oiler on my 112 doesn't work. I took the pump out and freed it up. However I can't see the oil pick up line in the tank. Shouldn't I be able to see it? I see it on the pump going into the tank but can't find the pickup in the tank.

The oiler on my 112 doesn't work. I took the pump out and freed it up. However I can't see the oil pick up line in the tank. Shouldn't I be able to see it? I see it on the pump going into the tank but can't find the pickup in the tank.

Just pull the rubber line out of the tank, it is the one that is behind the pump where the nipple from the pump inserts inside the line and goes into the oil resivoir.

112 oiler

Well I got the oiler lines out and it looks like the line with filter may have been the problem. Now how in the world do you hook them back up?

Another Sach Dolmar 112 oiler that doesn't work

Hi,

New to the forum. I also have a Sachs Dolmar 112 that is not getting oil to the chain but in my case the gears on the oiler are worn flat. After looking on the parts explosion, the worm gear and piston are called out as a pair (part number 119 245 250). Does anyone know where I can buy parts for this thing???

Thanks,

Larry

Hi,

New to the forum. I also have a Sachs Dolmar 112 that is not getting oil to the chain but in my case the gears on the oiler are worn flat. After looking on the parts explosion, the worm gear and piston are called out as a pair (part number 119 245 250). Does anyone know where I can buy parts for this thing???

Thanks,

Larry

If you want to find a local dealer go to Dolmar Power Products web site and click on the dealer locator tab. There are some Dolmar dealers in southern NH and northern MA. New parts for these saws are getting hard to find. You might have better luck going to the Swap Meet thread and asking there. If you don't have anything to trade cash always works.

Back