Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fixed it :rock:.

Looks like you have everything you need to get the job done.
Is the saw an xpw, or just has the wrap. Nice to see it has the old(oe) wrap, everyone has the xtorq wraps these days.
Oe. Dozer dan build from a ways back. 28" bar square ground

Mall 9/16 .060 scratcher chain
View attachment 878125
I would call those each ‘scoring’ or ‘scratcher’ cutters. The are just aligned in a close-enough pattern to scratch out fibers in a line to form a groove / ‘kerf’. But none of them is designed to rake out fibers cut by other teeth, as with the crosscut saw illustrated, or as a (non-powered) router plane.

Philbert

Since it's snowing and blowing in Jingle Bell square, I am piddling around in the garage. Sharpened my go to pocket knife then a few others. These three are my go to knives for pocket, hunting and fishing. The Case was given to me by a friend over 20 years ago. It holds an edge well and is still tight. What's everyone's go to pocket knife and why?
fb305740c877c0468108b67df75e4cad.jpg
8905b62156d650bc70e29fca38414549.jpg
7f3a3d2293abc5b4353976e45b95c011.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

I like how Gerber knives sharpen and hold their edge. I carry a Gator for gutting deer (cause I like the handle shape and texture) and a LST in my pocket every day because it is small and light.

I also have large Gerber and SOG knives I use when butchering the deer. (My Gerber was a Cutlery Shop special and has the SN CS 000036). I think it is a 8.5" blade.

GERBER Folding Pocket Knife,Fine Blade Edge 3 3/4 in Blade Length,Locking Blade: Lockback - 5LM30|46069 - Grainger

Gerber LST Folding Knife | Tactical Gear Superstore | TacticalGear.com

Actually that's the scarr' 395, but yes it runs well also.
Was just getting ready to say, all those huskys look the same :laughing: .
The decomp told me it wasn't the 372, and the 40:1 sticker told me it was probably ported.
I bet that DD 372 runs well too, I have a buddy who's from SW NY who has a few of his saws.

You'll laugh. Our knife laws are strict as well as our gun laws. It is illegal to carry ANY fixed or locking blade without a valid reason, or a folding blade 3" or larger. That sort of limited EDC. I have a sak on my keyring. I'm not really an EDC guy, but it's the to open boxes and such, and does that fine.

Oh, since we were talking about scrounging cast iron the other day. I have this gizmo from Pampered Chef. It has 4 different radiuses which pretty much allows you to scrape any corner. Works good for my skillet and Dutch oven. Also use it for baking dishes.
f4f7f549c009bc7862a509179699b367.jpg

They work well for me. I'm not a professional so I can't justify the price of stihls. I was running my Hacked up @mdavlee 7900 with "20 .404 since there was so much frozen mud on the wood. Works for me too.
I run them all, but when it comes to handling I prefer the huskys.
I have a 661 I should set up with a 24x404x semi chisel for flush cutting and dirty wood. I have a bunch of semi chisel 20x3/8 I could do on it as well I guess. It would have been nice to have one on my 365 special today, the chain just stopped cutting, even got to smoking:cry:, but I got it done:laughing:.
Look at the spot on the left side of the picture, I cut right thru the frozen dirt, maybe that's why it stopped cutting lol.
Screen Shot 2020-12-28 at 5.19.54 PM.png
Here it is cleaned out.
Screen Shot 2020-12-28 at 5.20.17 PM.png

Oh, since we were talking about scrounging cast iron the other day. I have this gizmo from Pampered Chef. It has 4 different radiuses which pretty much allows you to scrape any corner. Works good for my skillet and Dutch oven. Also use it for baking dishes.
f4f7f549c009bc7862a509179699b367.jpg

Those are great. I had my wife get one and an extra the first time I saw one :rock:.

My EDC knife is a kershaw scallion. I have several of them, they hold an edge well, but are quite a pain to get an edge when you dull them out. I have several hunting knives, but typically reach for my cold steel outdoorsman. They call the steel san Mi 3 or something like that. If a razor had a big brother this would be that knife, look at it wrong and your cut. Normally a few passes over a leather keeps it keen. I have several others including a few buck, and 2 puma fixed blades, but they dont get used often. Butcher duties, go to an Schrade old timer kit (spelling may be off) has 3 interchangeable blades, and a bone saw. My older brother got it for me as a gift years ago. The blades hold an edge ok, but they sharpen very easy. My wife grandfather have me this no name skinning knife, it's about 4 inche long blade, with a hard curve to a fine point. It's very thin, easy to sharpen and works amazing well. I'll have to go collect them amd get a few pictures then.

This was bound to happen sooner or later, especially after you guys gave me a hard time about loading my bucket so high last spring :p .
I was only about 25' from my wood pile.
Screen Shot 2020-12-28 at 5.26.57 PM.png
Got it all fixed up, what's funny is it wasn't even all that big of a load, last load from the locust I was cleaning up. Next comes a couple elm and then another locust I need to drop into the spot I'll be building a chicken run/putting the chicken coop.
Screen Shot 2020-12-28 at 5.27.19 PM.png

Actually that's the scarr' 395, but yes it runs well also.
See below. :dumb2:
Was just getting ready to say, all those huskys look the same :laughing: .
Yes they do!! At least to a creamsicle guy. I have to be careful. I got lambasted on another forum for joking with a guy about loctite even after I complimented him on his new Hoosky. :surprised3:

Latest posts

Back