something very bad happened this weekend....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most "felling levers" have a cant hook on them so that when a tree gets hung up you can "roll it" back and forth to get the tree to work through the part where it is hung up. If you are involved in felling a tree and it gets hung up and you don't have tools or equipment to handle it, another option is to start sawing blocks out of the low end until the top slides out of the hang up. The sequence of cuts is to start about 2-3 feet up the trunk from your stump and saw from the topside down and leave yourself a strap of wood on the bottom of the log. Then finish cutting the strap from underneath so your saw doesn't get pinched. This will allow the tree to drop a couple feet and create some motion so it can work itself out.

When dealing with strong leaners, you can "bore the backcut", so to speak. Make your facecut, and then bore in behind the face leaving a strap for holding wood, around 1.5-2 inches worth. Start cutting towards the back of the tree and leave yourself a strap. The finish the strap from the back and that gives you a way to escape the stump.

Good advice

Yes!

I fence post by reaching up high with my saw, like 6' or so and cutting from the bottom up. You can try 2-3', safer, till you get the hang, watch your feet.

Had a good one happen today myself. I spent most of the day cleaning up some of the storm damage around my property and in the process came upon a dead standing pine about 16" DBH. The way it was leaning if the wind took it down it probably would have torn up four or five 8 to 10 inch oaks on the way down, so I did the natural thing and decided to go ahead and drop it now before it could tear anything up. I needed to fell it about 75 degrees from the natural lean in order to miss the good trees. Now the tree was really swollen and rotten at the base so I decided a bore cut was the way to go, so I made a nice 80* open face notch and started making my bore. I made a nice 2" hinge and proceeded to make the cut out the back to form my "tab" everything’s going according to plan so far, well just when I started to let off the trigger and pull the saw out of the back cut the "tab" (about 3 to 4 inches wide mind you) collapsed in that rotten wood and the tree sat back on the saw. This is my favorite little MS260 you've all heard me talk about that’s now stuck in this tree. Now I had a couple of small wedges with me and my ax as well so should be an easy fix right??? Noooo the wood around the tree was so rotten that the wedges just drove in like they were being hammered into pudding. They did start to tighten up toward the end of the wedge but by the time I got any real leverage I was out of wedge. It did however manage to give me enough lift that with some real heavy pushing and a whole lot of grunting I did manage to free the saw (wheew) Now the trouble is I got a dead standing pine complete with a face cut and a back cut with 2 wedges pounded in to the hilt and the tree just sat there, mocking me. I hadn’t planed on felling any trees today so I didn't bring the usual assortment of sawing paraphernalia so I used the ax as a wedge hammered into the back cut with a log to (hopefully) hold the tree while I made the walk up to the shop to get the real wedges. I just knew every little breeze that picked up on that walk blew that tree over and into those little oaks and tore every one of them up. As you can tell by my posting it here instead of starting my own "man I screwed up" thread that the tree was still standing when I got back and everything worked out fine. A little persuasion from the big wedges and she fell right where I wanted her to and only broke two 2" limbs out of the tops of nearby trees. But man let that be a lesson to ya, don't wait pound your wedges in as soon as you can and never think any tree is gonna be easy, be ready for whatever may come before you start cutting. :laugh:

Gypo is just fooling around, he probably yarded it down with his skidder. I fencepost stuff like that down, or hammer it with something else if it will work. Gots to be carefull.

Yep, what a poser.:laugh:

...... But man let that be a lesson to ya, don't wait pound your wedges in as soon as you can and never think any tree is gonna be easy, be ready for whatever may come before you start cutting. :laugh:

So true, but I hate to fell rotten trees anyway - you never now what is going to happen........:pumpkin2:

OK, for the guys too new here to be used to Gypo. don't look at what you see in John's pics, but look for what you don't see. like the skidder just outside the pic. or the total lack of falling sawdust.
his pics are fun tho. and sized so you can see them.
-Ralph

http://www.skogforsk.se/KunskapDirekt/default.aspx?p=11244&bmp=11727
click on "film for bredband" then "avverkning med motorsag (10 min) "
You got some useful tips in that movie, one part of it is how to get down "hangers" safe ,,,,,,
QUOTE]

TAERG OEDIV TUB DLUOC TON DNATSREDNU A DROW.

Thankfully, it was very self evident and some very good info.

I get a lot of leaners since I'm working in heavy woods. Hate-em Hate-em HATE-EM. If I'm lucky, I can get a cable on them and yank-em down with the 933. Most times I block-em down. 2 or 3 feet at a time. I didn't have grey hair 3 yrs. ago when I started this project.

Bullseye -- Just my 2 cents here but I didn't see any PPE on you. Look at that vidio. That guy was covered from head to toe. Most, I say most, there are always exceptions, but MOST savvy cutters wear PPE. Trust me, it doesn't take but a second, and it's unanticipated, and that saw is buried in your leg (personal experience).

Glad everything worked out with your cutting.

Leaner

I've used a Come-Along and chain to pull steeply angled leaners off the stump, and then drag the butt until it falls, or until the angle is such that I'm more comfortable cutting sections off the bottom of the butt. What happened to you when you cut sections from the bottom of a steeply angled leaner is more likely than when it's closer to horizontal, maybe 45 degrees or less. Gene Gauss

Those leaners can be a real PITA.
John

B14.jpg

Oh, so that's how the pros do it!

Man, I wasted so much time on the last leaner I dealt with... comealong, chains, and the old "pretend the truck is a tractor" trick.

Ya learn something every day...

yeah well, at least you didnt get married.....or engaged............or circumsized...........or snipped............
basically all the same thing really... :cry:
-Ralph
LOL................. (or killed, that really messes up a person's day) :(

I too hate dealing with hung trees, blocking it down/up is my last option usually. Alot to be said about pre-rigging lines as others have mentioned, nice to have a come-along handy (though cheap ones can be more of a detriment imo), sometimes, if you can't pull backwards to get the hanger on the ground, you can toss a long rope as high as you can into the offender and tug it off sideways. I have in the (foggy) past rigged a spanish windlass with doubled 5/8ths rope and a 4-5ft piece of 2x4, they will work very well, are a no-brainer to rig, and you can keep yourself out of the bite.

:cheers: And work safely! :rockn: :rockn:

Serge

yeah well, at least you didnt get married.....or engaged............or circumsized...........or snipped............
basically all the same thing really... :cry:
-Ralph

If I didn't know better I would say you have an issue with this sort of thing? I'll take it as face value, and not take it personally. It wasn't meant to be taken personally was it?

Back to the original question. Felling. I usually make a face cut. Then I cut the ears on each side real deep. Then make a normal backcut. That way when the tree is falling It will roll through the other trees around. Not that you still dont get stuck however.

I have been known to hook a line on it. Then rig to the winch, cut it, and just pull it down through the other trees also.

Either way when it starts to go, Run Like Hell

If I didn't know better I would say you have an issue with this sort of thing? I'll take it as face value, and not take it personally. It wasn't meant to be taken personally was it?

Personal to what? you? who are you? you just get castrated or something and we didnt get the memo?
learn to distinguish humor for personal attacks. ie, "at least you didnt get snipped" would be humor, but, "at least you didnt get snipped like ben" would be sarcasm, and personal. oh yeah, funny too.

gheez. :newbie:
-Ralph
edit: oh yeah, I guess I do have an issue with castration. Odd that you don't though.

Personal to what? you? who are you? you just get castrated or something and we didnt get the memo?
learn to distinguish humor for personal attacks. ie, "at least you didnt get snipped" would be humor, but, "at least you didnt get snipped like ben" would be sarcasm, and personal. oh yeah, funny too.

gheez. :newbie:
-Ralph

I was referring to this, must have been coincidental timing. No harm done. http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=46859
See now why I though it might be personal?

Latest posts

Back