Stihl 041 Farm Boss

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheManOfStihl

Half man, half bear, half pig.
Reaction score
I recently acquired a few more Stihl chainsaws for my collection, and among them was this 041 Farm Boss. Starts and runs great, but it's not the AV model, and this thing vibrates so badly I can only cut two or three pieces off a log before my hands are so numb I can hardly hold the saw because of the vibration. I've also got a Stihl 08S that I've had for a few years, also rigid mount handle, but does not vibrate anything like this 041. I can run a tank of fuel through the 08S and be ready for more. Is this saw trying to tell me there is something wrong internally? It runs great and starts easy, has good power. Is it possible to purchase an 041AV unit and swap parts of the handle and rubber isolators onto my 041 Farm Boss and make it an AV? Love the saw but can't keep it cutting long without me wearing out!

Thank you gentlemen. I haven't checked for broken flywheel fins but will when I get a chance to pull the rewind cover. I need to get it all cleaned up anyway. I was trying to think if something in the rotating assembly would throw it off balance maybe, but then it runs too well to think that. But I have NEVER used a saw that shook this bad, it's unreal.

I cut some old dead trees that had been laying for awhile, so it was relatively soft wood. I tried a few different trees but made no difference. Not sure what kind of wood that was.

The saw idled ok when i got it but was lacking with WOT so I adjusted it myself. I THINK I did it right. Ran it WOT no load, and ajusted the high idle screw in until it got lean on me, then came out slowly until it choked, and went back in just until it leveled out. Put it to the wood and made a world of difference on power. Still vibrates horribly but runs great.

I forgot to mention it is a 20" Stihl bar and chain that hasn't even been sharpened for the first time yet. Saw pulls this chain through the wood like it's nothing. Different kinds of wood seem to make no difference on the vibration.

I will give that a shot, thank you.

For what it's worth, I stole this bar off my 08S and put this gently used chain on it, since I got it as a powerhead only. I will try that if I can find another 3/8 20" chain around here. Thank you for your input I appreciate it!

No, this is a chain that I bought recently, used for a few cuts to test a saw and that's it. Then it was put on this saw for testing, so the cutters haven't even been filed yet, and the rakers are untouched. Unless it's just a faulty chain? I suppose that's possible, althought I've bought many Stihl chains over the years and never had a dud yet.

Maybe I've missed something but from what I understand u took a relatively smooth cutting bar and chain from an 08s and put it on an 041 and it cuts rough?...is it possible your 08s has a .404 set up and youre trying to put that on an 041 with a 3/8 sprocket? Maybe I've not read correctly and am no help, just tossing it out there...but my 08s has a .404 sprocket and uses a 3002 bar mount(14mm)...most 041's that ive seen use the 3003 mount(12mm)

Excellent point. My 08S was .404 when I got it, but had no bar and chain. At the time I had nothing for .404 so I got a 3/8 sprocket from my Stihl dealer and modified a bar that fits my 029 so that it'd fit the 08s by widening the groove to fit the studs and slicing the end of it off to clear the sprocket. No, not the right thing to do, but I did it to make sure the 08S was in good working order, which it is. I have since put this bar and chain combo on my 029 that's very tired to make a few cuts for a friend after a windstorm, and the bar stayed tight and worked great. So I can imagine that the fact I modified the bar plays a part in this 041 vibrating... but I could be wrong and answering my own question.

Well the 08s bar has to have a oiler hole that goes all the way through the bar to accommodate for the clutch cover mounted oil pump...an 029 bar would only need an oiler hole on one side...I'm confused in your setup...I'm sorry...just trying to help...it's late and I've had beers

No problem Big T Double, I appreciate your input regardless. As I said, I know it's not right, but the 08s does oil the chain, I had another chain on it that I cut a few trees with successully on this modified bar. It seems to work quite well. The reason I did this mainly is because my local Stihl dealer priced me the correct 17" bar for it at over $100. Can't afford that yet so I made one work so I could use the saw.

Yes, the 041 Farm Boss vibrates without the bar installed. When I got it home the first thing I did was to start it and let it idle awhile and see how it acted. Idled great but vibrates. If I set it on the concrete floor it'll run away from me! Just holding it while idling is bad enough, then wind it up and it's terrible. The bar and chain being installed didn't do much, if anything made the vibration a little worse, even when not cutting with it.

Now I'm clear on your b/c setup...got a little drunk out last nite...I think your next step would be to check the flywheel for broken fins per stihlavarnas advice back on page one. Couple of neat old Stihls ya got! Throw up some pics if possible

Bad Vibe Suggestion

I just serviced an original Stihl 041 Farm Boss (circa 1980) and have to admit that the vibration on these dinosaurs is deplorable. The solution I offer is what the owner did: mount bicycle handle bar cushioned grips all the way around the smooth saw handle. He may have stripped off the old handle cover, or it wore down to nothing. Then he bought a pair of bicycle cushioned grips from a bike shop to cover it all the way around.

A typical pair of cushioned grips will do it and your shoulders and wrists may be saved. One thing about these old 041s: they have power galore--61cc if I am not mistaken--and they breathe easily. Many were outfitted with 16" bars that they eagerly swallowed up, so they never had to work very hard.

Thanks I will check the flywheel fins and clutch side bearing. I put some 1/2" pipe insulation on the handlebar today, and made a big difference with that hand but not on my trigger hand.

I will get some pics of my saws up here soon. They aren't all pretty but they're all workers.

And I agree, has plenty of power. I will consider bike handle grips. Gotta come up with something for the trigger handle too though. Thanks for the advice gentlemen!

Latest posts

Back