Stihl 041 Farm Boss

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good Idea!

Thanks I will check the flywheel fins and clutch side bearing. I put some 1/2" pipe insulation on the handlebar today, and made a big difference with that hand but not on my trigger hand.

I will get some pics of my saws up here soon. They aren't all pretty but they're all workers.

And I agree, has plenty of power. I will consider bike handle grips. Gotta come up with something for the trigger handle too though. Thanks for the advice gentlemen!
Pipe insulation might work just as well. I forgot about that stuff. The cushioned bike grips are probably made from the same material and probably cost ten times as much. You can buy that pipe insulation in various lengths from any HI center or hardware store--dirt cheap.

Thumbs up and good luck! :rock:

Glock that has got to be the cleanest 041 I have ever seen, I thought mine was nice, I had a real early full wrap non AV one and I remember not being able to swap the anti vibe over, I did sell it when I had 4 of them.

Thanks for the advice men, I appreciate it. I put 1/2" pipe insulation on my top handle today and coated it in electrical tape tightly so it wouldnt move around on the handle. Took her to the woods and made some cuts, and it helps quite a bit. Only trouble now is the trigger handle is still as bad as it was, and I don't like wearing gloves when I cut. This one might be tricky. Anyone have any thoughts on padding the trigger handle?

Thanks Stihl I built that one for older brother I ts fully stripped blasted powdered and all new parts

it runs great he loves it

gave it too him for Christmas

you any where near the flooding

I got done with a 038mag 2and now a stihl 064 getting the full treatment

MIKE

I see that grip is available on ebay, some still new at $12 post up pics of your saw and it'll help us out a lot.

The flood is far from me, were more concerned with an earthquake over here.

you must be in the western part I take it

we love visiting the area there jasper and Banff

how often do you guys shake ?

You guys have me wondering if I have something I should complain about. I've never noticed my 041 to vibrate excessively. I'll be paying closer attention now. Don't want to miss out. :givebeer:

See, that's what's got me. I have talked to a few people that tell me they use an 041 non AV saw from time to time with no real vibration complaints. And I have an 08S that also has the rigid handle setup, but runs smooth as silk compared to this 041. I haven't checked into it yet, but when I do, I'm going to check for missing flywheel fins and other things I've been told about on here. There has to be a reason behind this, there is no way someone can cut with my saw very long without complaining. There has to be something wrong with it.

Had my 041 in wood today, fresh ash, after I got my 460 pinched in a log. I had it outfitted with a 20" bar working on 22" timber. I specifically paid attention to the vibration and cannot report anything extraordinary. It shakes a bit but that's what chainsaws do. It was not at all uncomfortable or hand numbing to use. In fact it was a nice deviation from the 460 with the 32 inch bar, especially working with the saw hoisted over my head most of the time. My saw has tons of grunt and is a hoot to use but I keep it primarily as a backup.

I hope you figure yours out.

So I did locate my issue with the vibration. My flywheel does have one fin missing. That's got to be it. Now I'm going to locate a flywheel for it. Any thoughts on getting a used one to save money? Bad idea?

Also, my spark plug lead is chafed on the case by the rubber bushing near the trigger handle. Guy I got it from put electrical tape on it. Sigh. Should it be like the newer saws, can I go to the dealer and get a length of plug wire and twist it in to replace it? Or is it not that easy on the 041?

Thanks for all the help so far gentlemen!

When replacing plug wire where the wire is going thru the casting put a piece of hose or thin hose to keep from arcing over to ground thru the wire also where the wire holder is make sure its facing the right way so it doesn't end up against the flywheel

when screwing the wire into coil use a awl to make a hole first in the conductor to make it easier to thread wire onto screw

the flywheel outer fins are 2 piece so you only need the outer half not the rotor with the magnets

if points see if you have the paper gasket between the 2 pieces

also make sure oil control is only set around 90 % 100% the control bolt breaks

When I replace the outer flywheel I will get a gasket. I saw them on ebay. What does that gasket do for a flywheel?

and yes, my saw is a points saw. Thinking about getting an electronic ignition upgrade for it, just so I don't have to worry about it.

And finally, are you talking about the oil adjustment screw? That needs to be pretty much full flow? I guess I assume that's what you mean by 90-100%. Is that correct? Guess I never checked this saw's setting, it oiled the chain well so I never looked at that.

Back