Things we have learned the hard way

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheManOfStihl

Half man, half bear, half pig.
Reaction score
I decided to start a thread dedicated to things that we have learned the hard way, or things that we have done and then later realized it was a bad idea. Hopefully this can lead to others learning from our mistakes, but should be worth a few laughs if nothing else.

I'll start. Last weekend I was building an 064 and had almost everything for it, except the sprocket drum and e-clip. Well I was impatient, and wanted to tune the carb, so I took it outside and started it. Within five seconds of idling the clutch exploded all over my driveway. Took out the brake band and part of the brake parts cover. If only I'd have been patient and waited for a sprocket drum I'd be cutting with it right now! :blob2:

Learned that one the hard way, but after thinking about it... DUH!
I won't be doing that again.
IMG_20140318_1844481.jpg

I learned that no matter what you do, you cannot turn a whore into a housewife!

Oh, may bad......you meant regarding chainsaws. ;)

I learned that OLD gas (and I mean very old) is just as bad as straight gas.

However, I knew nothing about the mechanics of a chainsaw before I screwed the pooch. So if every cloud has a silver lining, I learned a great deal about 2 strokes and chainsaws thanks to the fine folks here at AS.

Don't back a ratcheting wrench out only to run out of room. .. you'll know what I mean if you've done it. Can get you in a major bind.
Bad memories there...

Mine is -
Step back and look at what you're doing once and a while.

remove the muffler sealing inner tube from behind the muffler on a homie 360 before you start putting it back together as they won't start with the muffler blocked and yes you have to remove just about everything to get the muffler back off.

I received a saw to tune up awhile back, and after the spark plug and air filter was changed, I started it to check the carb adjustment, and as soon as it was warm, I began to adjust the carb, and the engine died. I spent some time trying to figure out how a small turn of the L screw killed it, only to find LATER that it was out of gas. This was, of course, after I turned both screws all over the map, not realizing the tank was dry. Almost embarrassing.

[quote="Heilman181, post: 4753278, member: 8423"
... I learned a great deal about 2 strokes and chainsaws thanks to the fine folks here at AS.[/quote]
So true. So true.

Dont browse fleabay on your phone while watching tv. I do have some spare parts now though...

Oh, and definitely dont cut the new pulse line for a Homelite 330 .5" too short and not realize until you are putting the carb back on...

DO NOT use the junk circlips been said on here more times than I can count but I said what the heck, fired up a fresh rebuild, about 3 seconds and the saw came to a stop, replaced top end instead of just a piston and rings...lesson learned the hard way!

Always put the outhouse down stream from your camp, the coffee 'll taste better. Oh you mean saw related. Clear you work bench of old screws and nuts so you don't go scratching your head wondering where that odd screw or bolt goes on your fresh rebuild, saves an extra tear down.

Back