Things we have learned the hard way

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No matter how fast you spin the crank, you don't get spark with out the flywheel installed, even with the fancy ignition chip that just replaced the old points. Just saying

Make sure your hammers are in good condition..

I was trying to free a stuck screw on the front brake reservoir on my motorcycle with an impact screwdriver.. On the second upswing the hammer head flew off, fell on the tank leaving a dent, and then landed on my big toe...

When swinging a pick-axe into the trunk lid of a junk car, (haha) do not attempt to yank it out with all of your might. Use some finesse to gently and carefully pull it from the newly punctured sheet metal.

The flat blade on the back side made a nice clean slice into my right nostril. I'm fortunate that I didn't need a new eye socket or nose, as there was a nice witness line right across my cheek bone.

No matter how fast you spin the crank, you don't get spark with out the flywheel installed, even with the fancy ignition chip that just replaced the old points. Just saying

Reminds me of the little trick I play on myself occasionally.
Anytime when I'm going to grab anywhere around or under the deck of
your normal push mower, I have a fairly well ingrained habit of pulling the plug wire
as my first step.
If you're old enough to rember how an old points ignition Briggs could be
set up well enough to pop over from just flipping the blade around.

Since most (maybe all now) mowers have the engine mounted with the cylinder
facing frontwards/away from you these days,
You cant see the wire is still off when you grab the handle
and give 'er a good firm tug... or three .
By then I'm generally thinking " this thing shoulda fired on the 1st pull
and rarely needs a second pull.

Then it hits me,
Dummy you left it off again didn't ya.

unload your rifle before driving down the road had older remington 308 safty failed and a hole in the transmission in the middle of nowhere negative -15 2 feet of snow had to wait a day and a half before somone came down the road and was able to get a ride out. had plenty of beer thou
ohh saws dont adjust the chain while saw is still running my friend is now called the stink pink because all he has is a pinky finger left

Just a brief summary of wild and crazy things I've done. Can you just imagine what the rest of my life looks like! Lol
But just remember, you haven't worked in the bush unless you've done these dumbest things.

Oil in gas tank.
Chain on backwards.
Wrist pin clips left inside piston on BB 372.
Gap gauge left between flywheel and coil.
Drive over 044 with 540A JD.
Chair 24" beech on P45.
Dig gravel with 066 Mag in material bucket.
Slapped in face with 6# maul. Twice!
9 lost time injuries.
Shall I go on or do I get the Darwin award? Lol.

My most stupid mistakes happen in the presence of the female persuasion. "Hello your beautiful, I love you, let me buy you a house" . LOL. The waitress did respond with " in what neighborhood will we be living in"

If you get a maul stuck in a round, do not pick up another chunk of wood and throw it on top to free it... Learned that in my younger days, when the stuck maul flipped forward and the handle smacked me in the side of the head...

And while using a nail gun, never hold the pieces you're nailing together in your hand... You can guess how that went, brad nail through the index finger. Thankfully it didn't contact bone.

Only have to shoot yourself with a nail gun once. The next shot your free hand is tucked behind your back. Or at least that's the way I did it !!

Latest posts

Back