what is the correct rope to repel down

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
birdboy

birdboy

I have been trimming trees with a bucket truck for about 8 years now. had a hyd line go and left me stuck up there. I want to keep a rope with me up there for emergency use to get down. I bought some 5/8 rope at Home Depot but I think is incorrect. I tested using a Blakes hitch and about 5 feet down the rope locked up due to friction heat. What is the best rope and size to use? or other method? again hopefully a one time only usage, thanks for any info you can provide.

lone wolf
I have been trimming trees with a bucket truck for about 8 years now. had a hyd line go and left me stuck up there. I want to keep a rope with me up there for emergency use to get down. I bought some 5/8 rope at Home Depot but I think is incorrect. I tested using a Blakes hitch and about 5 feet down the rope locked up due to friction heat. What is the best rope and size to use? or other method? again hopefully a one time only usage, thanks for any info you can provide.
1/2 climbing line from an Arborist supply.

birdboy

birdboy

thejollylogger , I think I am using a drt setup, 1 rope up to a pully on my boom, back down tied to my harness then I tie the blake hitch to line coming down. it seemed to work ok on the ground, so I raised the boom up about 10 ft in the air, it held my weight (230lb) but after a few releases it got stuck I think from heat. I am not looking to use this on a daily or weekly basis, hopefully never but want something that will work to get me down in a emergency, and want to practice it, thanks all, keep it coming

Bango Skank

Bango Skank

ArboristSite Operative
Scrap that Home Depot rope.

Check Wesspur for their clearance rope section or R&W Rope usually has sales. They had a bunch of Safety Blue High Vee shorties for really cheap last time I was browsing. It’s a good rope if you like 16 strand. Really dynamic, especially when new, but it’ll serve for a rappel rope. Also fine price on short Poison Ivy and other Yale 24 11.7mm.
https://rwrope.com/collections/closeouts-surplus/Discount-Arborist-Rope-&-Gear

Oldtoolsnewproblems

Oldtoolsnewproblems

ArboristSite Operative
sampson is the cheapest real climbing rope i've seen, i'd splurge on a set of that and a figure 8 and learn how to use it. I imagine having an 8 on hand might be useful for other things up there from time to time.

birdboy

birdboy

jolly and old tool, can you explain figure 8?, I'm sure its not the figure eight knot I tie at the end of the blakes hitch, thanks so much to take the time to help me

Del_

3% Neanderthal...... 2% Denisovan
. AS Supporting Member.
I often tied into the bucket boom 100% of the time with an adjustable lanyard which was a VT and 120ft. of New England High Vee 1/2 line in a doubled rope system. So if by chance I were to fall out of the bucket I wouldn't have to climb back in to get to my lowering system.

I often climbed out of the bucket to remote areas of the tree or to do the side the bucket truck could not reach.

When using this system just a lanyard I'd tie a stopper knot a couple of feet below the VT.

Only once did I have to self rescue. I was doing some trimming solo and the dead man stop operating so I was stuck 40ft. up with a running truck motor and no hydraulics to the boom. It was an air pressure mini line that had failed right at the bucket but I did not know it at the time.

I've also climbed off of the boom with this system hundreds of times.

I'm not suggesting that anyone do any of this.

But I did.

iceclimber

iceclimber

ArboristSite Lurker
I don’t know squat about tree climbing, but I have been a mountain climber and ice climber for years. Buy you a good climbing rope. Static rope if you never plan to fall on it. I would buy dynamic. You can still repel on it, and it won’t hurt you in a fall. A figure 8 is old school. A Black Diamond ATC is good. A BD or Petzl ascender are great.
I think arborists call them descenders, Sparrow comes to mind.
Get some training. Lots of people get hurt on the repel. Good Luck.